I've been feeling the urge to harmonize! While I love some deep gospel sounds, I'm not deeply moved in a church choir, nor am I a good fit for the NM Symphony's choir nor, at age 28, am I eligible for a Swingin' Grannies choir (all great options for others by the way). So i've been thinking of starting a new choir in town for adults (and older teens). If anyone out there is interested in singing some Beatles, maybe some Ray LaMontagne, Allison Kraus and other artists possibly adaptable to a group, let's talk. I've got a neighbor who plays a killer piano. And my house can host a group. I picture hangin' in the living room for practice, maybe drinking a beer (to keep my throat moist...yeah yeah...) having some snacks and singing some beautiful songs with some tingle-inspiring harmonies. Anyway, any takers?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How much musical ability are looking for? I love to sing in a group because I am not such a great singer, but I really enjoy it.
Good question. I say come one come all! That being said, I hope some in the group can carry a tune. ha. I want to make nice music, but this is by no means an idea for a cutthroat competitive choir!
Yeah. So far we have three with interest. Any ideas how to get more interest? I was thinking a cheap ad somewhere in the Alibi and IQ and maybe the Journal, too. Not sure the cost of this idea. Suggestions welcome!
I bet if you choose a date and place for a first meeting people will show.
I'll bring food. :)
That is a good idea, Mombat. I'll check with my neighbor about her availability and choose a date. Yeah!
Thanks, MayMay--I'm interested in your idea. I love to harmonize with other singers, and can play guitar and piano. I especially enjoy the Beatles, bluegrass (à la Alison Krauss), English/Scots/Irish ballads, and madrigals. It would be great fun. And maybe, if things work out, we might eventually aim to bring some cheer to a few nursing homes, hospitals, and schools.
Wonderful!
Woot. The ranks are filling.
Is this group for adults or older teens? Huge difference there. I suppose I COULD qualify for the swinging grannies but none of my kids has seen fit to present me with a grandchild and altho a swinging lifestyle has certainly been under discussion at times in my married life, we just never got around to it, dontcha know! Also, in what part of town is this taking place?
I think this sounds like a cool idea! I'd love to check it out (provided I can get away from my kids that long).
Alright. All this response in encouraging. I'm googling some tips on starting a choir. Can't be that hard, right?
Hmm- If many of us have kids maybe we can organinize a sitter or bring them with and have something for them to do. My kids are 8, 8, and 12 and are all really nice with younger kids.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

DCMc liked Dee Cohen's blog post NM Pics: Landlocked
38 minutes ago
hettie's 2 blog posts were featured