My husband heard the cranes moving south this morning for the first time this fall season. We live in the Valley near 12th & Candelaria. Anyone else heard/seen them yet?

Tags: crane, migration

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

Your cranes would qualify for the "Gets the Worm" award, as they are very early. Last year I saw the first ones not until Oct 10th, but then that was a late year. I've read where folks in the last week have seen activity in the upper Midwest.

This is an idea... everyone post their first crane sightings, here.

Include where, when and how many seen.
We didn't see, but rather heard them. After living here in the same house since "86, we know that sound. We have some guests that may be going to the Bosque del Apache today. I will report what they saw in the way of cranes.
Yes, they frequently fly so high as to be essentially out of sight... but not hearing. I look forward to the BdA report.
We have not yet heard them here in los alamos or down in corrales
Just to add my 2 cents to the early crane reports:

I saw 4 Sandhill Cranes soaring in a circle south of the RGNC just before noon today. They were only about a hundred feet up and were letting the prevailing southerly wind carry them north. They only vocalized a time or two in the 5 minutes I watched them.

I've still neither seen nor heard any mass migration of Sandhills this year.

I spoke to a lady with a Balloon Fiesta hat as we were checking out the Candelaria Wetlands at the RGNC. She was at Bosque del Apache yesterday and she was disappointed to see no cranes there (which doesn't mean there weren't a few around.)

Bill
we still haven't heard or seen them here in los alamos. I've heard that the rio grande box (west of taos) is a neat place to go and listen and watch when they do start to go south. We usually see the first wave going by los alamos/white rock just after (or during) the first significant cold front. they show up a day later in corrales....
My folks who went to the BDA the weekend before last saw no cranes either. Not a one.
We have had only one other pass through...we could here them, but no sighting. That was yesterday. We are at 12th and Candelaria.
Finally, last evening I saw a real crane migration formation. There were only 12 birds, but they were in a "V" headed south.

Yesterday morning I had ice in the birdbath, too. Now my vegetable garden is dead, dead, dead... back to store bought.

Bill
Wow. We haven't had a freeze yet.
We have not heard or seen any cranes since my initial posting of this thread.
Yesterday morning I had ice in the birdbath, too here in white rock/los alamos...... Expect to see the waves coming over soon...
today (10/16) at about 4 PM, after the first cold front going through, my wife saw 30 cranes flying over white rock/los alamos heading your way!! called my son in corrales and told him to start listening and watching.

Please let me know when you all see/hear them.... I will let you know when the big waves start coming over. It seems to take about a day for them to get from los alamos/white rock to corrales.... I guess they have to stop for RnR along the way..... grin.
Saw two groups of cranes today. There are alfalfa fields along the recreation trail between Bridge St and Rio Bravo Blvd. Frequently during the winter you can find cranes feeding there. Today I saw 18 cranes feeding in the newly mown field. A bit later up near the Alameda Bridge I saw 9 cranes in a "V" flying south.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Ron Da Bomb left a comment for Ben Moffett
14 minutes ago
Dee Cohen liked Sophie's blog post Morning Fix: It's the Great Pumpkin (Hunt)
36 minutes ago
Sí Serrano liked Dee Cohen's blog post NM Pics: River & Road
1 hour ago
Adelita left a comment for Ben Moffett
1 hour ago
Ben Moffett is now a member of Duke City Fix
1 hour ago
shotsie commented on Sophie's blog post Morning Fix: It's the Great Pumpkin (Hunt)
1 hour ago
Adelita liked Sophie's blog post Morning Fix: It's the Great Pumpkin (Hunt)
2 hours ago
DCMc liked Dee Cohen's blog post NM Pics: River & Road
2 hours ago

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, SophieAdelitaKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service