I asked some time ago but no one seemed to know for sure. What's up with the building on Central and 15th. I think it's 15th. It's on the smae side as Dairy Queen and across from Huning Castle.

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They're going to be residential units - lofts mostly.
Does anyone know what the project is called? What was that building used for before? Who's funding it (city or private developer)?
I did a project on the Bell Tower development for a graduate Housing class in the planning school a few years ago... it used to be a wholesale Native American jewelry manufacturer and is being renovating for housing. There's a lot of contamination issues at the site due to the jewelry production uses, so it's taking a while. The actual Bell Tower building will be loft and live/work-style spaces, but another piece of the development is the vacant lot behind it, which is being used for single-family housing. There's a fairly decent affordability component to the project as well- I seem to remember 30-40%. The funding framework that I saw was the city in partnership with a non-profit affordable housing developer. I have all the files on a different computer, and as I said this info is all three or so years old, so if anyone has anything newer please update. Looked like a good project from what I saw three years ago.
I just noticed this rehabilitation project a few days ago. FINALLY! I was wondering about that spot for awhile. Another boarded up/empty lot space in a really desirable location. I'm glad something is happening and if there are any updates out there, let us know! And I'm happy that it might be affordable housing...
well this spring i did a little Urban-Exploring there, and then did a little research on it. Its called "The Bell Trading Post" it was in operation from the 1947's up until the 1992 and it has been abandoned since then. they made and sold southwest jewelery there.

I made a little blog post about it, and myself and others have flickr'd photos.

http://killbox.livejournal.com/446857.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/killbox/tags/belltradingpost/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barjack/archives/date-taken/2007/05/20/
nice photos!
Thanks, everyone for the info.
Work here has actually been underway for quite a while; the new houses on the lot behind the Bell Tower are finished and appear to be occupied. (They're pretty nice, too!). I'm glad to hear why the construction on the Tower building has been so slow...I guess smelting silver, gold and copper produces a lot of nasty chemicals.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Dee Cohen's blog post was featured
8 minutes ago
Dee Cohen posted a blog post
8 minutes ago
Dee Cohen liked Phil_0's blog post Morning Fix: Let the Sun Shine In
10 minutes ago
Dee Cohen liked Adelita's blog post Hey Mayor Berry, are you listening?
10 minutes ago

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service