The skies are hazy and the air is thick, thanks to our neighbors to the west. Last night was particularly bad, with KOB running a banner asking people not to call 911 to report a fire. Also, my swamp cooler has been rendered useless. Boo.

Tags: arizona, smoke, wildfire

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried pretending I was smelling a campfire but without the s'mores it was a hard sell. As bad as it was for us (the old man's eyes were really suffering), I felt  awful for the folks on fire.

This smoke makes it much easier to pretend my whiskey is scotch. 

One of my FB friends posted a photo with ash from AZ actually covering the hood of their car.

When we cleaned our windshield, there was a ton of black muddy goo. Imagine our lungs. 

Want to keep up with air quality - Check this out

http://www.cherokiwi.com/cumulus/wxaqirssV2.php

Ron & Linda, thanks for the link.  This is why I have come to hate swamp coolers.
you've come to hate swamp coolers because of fire particulates that reach unhealthy levels once every 30 or 40 years or so?

Jeff, I'm exceptionally vulnerable to particulates, so for me it's not a 35 year event, but a common problem.  And the other thing I hate about swamp coolers are how useless they are when the temp is over 90 and the humidity is high.  

Number of days in ABQ with 90+ temps and high humidity = 0

Maybe a handful of moderately humid days...

Hettie, I feel your pain.  It must be unbearable for you to to have to endure a few days of smoky skies here in Albuquerque.  If it gets too terrible  for you, I propose that you move to Fukishima Province in Japan, or to Eastern Arizona, or perhaps to Joplin Missouri.  Surely you can find a more salubrious spot on the map to relish your obscenely overdeveloped sense of entitlement. 

Uh...what? I think if you read the original post again you'll find it pretty much boils down to "I don't like smokey air." Your threshold for outrage must be set awfully low if that somehow triggers an overblown, snarky response like what you posted.

I don't like smokey air either. It sucks. It hurts my lungs and makes me cough. Dangerously high particulate levels aren't that fun to breath. And yeah, I also know it means hundreds of thousands of acres are burning somewhere, which really sucks. But I guess if I voice that out loud I have an "obscenely overdeveloped sense of entitlement" too, huh?

Yes, really. Wow. Some people are really suffering. Not something to make light of.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service