Anyone got leads on last-minute Thanksgiving volunteer opportunities?

Tags: albuquerque, thanksgiving, volunteer

Views: 2029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i would also like to volunteer.
I have been trying to get info on this also. Dont we have a volunteer group on DCF?
My husband and I are also interested in volunteering, I haven't looked into anything just yet but we were thinking of asking meals on wheels if they need more volunteers for deliveries to home bound people. I have it on my list for monday and I'll post any pertinent info on DCF.
Please do! Thanks.
I have volunteered at the Albuquerque Rescue Mission for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Very much faith-based, but they serve A LOT of meals to the homeless. You might also check out some nursing homes. Lots of lonely seniors around the holidays...

Do a search on VolunteerMatch.org for Albuquerque NM, and select the categories you want...looks like there are some good ideas here.
check out the MOVE office at www.cabq.gov/move. Email Debra and ask to get her weekly updates on volunteering. dsaine@cabq.gov. Or just call the office and ask your question!
THANK YOU for posting this question! I have been looking for soup kitchen's to volunteer for Thanksgiving with no luck!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. . . it's time to dust off this discussion again!
To be honest, I haven't yet volunteered because I'm usually traveling or working, but if I'm here this year, I'll look into these:
Joy Junction
Albuquerque Rescue Mission

Last year, I also remember seeing a news segment about one of the city community centers in the south valley that relied on volunteers to help serve Thanksgiving dinner. I thought it was at the Cesar Chavez center, but I'll try to find out for sure.
Keep in mind the other 364 days as well. Lots of these shelters and charities are overwhelmed with volunteers on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the rest of the time are quite shorthanded. Pick one day a month. Or every other month. As my kids are often fond of saying, "get in the game!"
Yep, that is what I was going to say. Often the food banks really need donations in the middle of the summer because kids are out school and not eating school lunch.
For 20 years La Mesa Presbyterian Church has put on a Thanksgiving Feast of Hope on Thanksgiving Day serving thousands of meals at the church at 7401 Copper Ave, NE and taking meals to homeless camps and other facilities in the community. They'd love volunteers and contributions including blankets and warm clothing.
Their phone number is 505-255-8095. Their November newsletter can be found here:
http://www.lamesapresbyabq.org/Messengers/November2010newsletter.pdf

RSS

Connect with Us!

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service