I had seen a previous discussion of this topic some time ago.  I WAS there and WAS SHOT by the National Guard.  Does anyone want to hear my story?

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might want to consider posting this discussion in this group, Born in Burque.

I'd like to hear your story.  This is an important piece of ABQ history.

I was also there - on day one. I was a UNM student and a Vietnam Veteran Against the War at the time. We rallied on campus in the big parking lot on Central Avenue. The idea was to march all he way down to city hall BUT there were some more radical people who wanted to block I40/I25. There was a debate on what we should do but the majority of us wanted to keep it peaceful and march down Central towards city hall. Anyway, we finally got off of the curb and into the street, but before we walked 5 minutes the police showed up and blasted us with tear gas. That was the end of it for me, and for most of us. A face full of tear gas is no fun at all! I went home.

The next day some people at Roosevelt Park got too rowdy and someone living there call the cops. That turned into one hell of a riot because there was still revolution in the air so one or two police cars were overturned and set on fire. Well, eventually the National Guard was called in and there was a curfew and military vehicles all over Albuquerque. It looked like the film "Earth vs.The flying Saucers".

I was working part-time for Radio Shack at Lomas and Arizona NE but my best friend was working at the down-town store. He got another friend and a shotgun to go down on a Sunday to “protect” the store from looters but the shotgun went off in the car and blew a hole right through the floor! That was one hell of a week!

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service