Do you think this is what Albuquerque will look like in the future? I found this picture on the web and thought it looked interresting. Does anyone know why are buildings here are small being that we are a larger city than Atlanta, GA? According to the US Census Bureau, Albuquerque's estimated population for 2011 is 552,804. Atlanta's 2011 estimated population is 432,427 and has huge skyscrapers. Why? Is there really a law restricting the hight limit of buildings in Albuquerque? That one million plus population beneath the picture is false and whoever wrote that needs to read around some more. I just heard that we have small buildings for a reason growing up and wondered why. Does anyone know the real reason?

Views: 1166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A bit late for April Fools' Day :)

Atlanta's metro area is 5.2MM people.  Albuquerque is 898K.  Little difference there.

25% of the building in Downtown are vacant.  Lets work on getting those filled up.

Myself I could care less about our skyline.  I much rather see the Sandias than tall buildings.

I'm a native San Franciscan.  I moved to ABQ in 1993.  That being said, I LOVE our skyline as it is.  When I was young, one could see San Francisco's hills as you approached The City from either bridge.  Inside San Francisco, you could see the Bay, GG Bridge, Alcatraz, Berkeley Hills, even Mt. Diablo in the distance.

Now?  Nada.  When approaching The City from the bridges you cannot even tell that there are hills.  The views from the hilltops are gone.  You just see more skyscrapers, most of which were erected during the Mayoral terms of Diane Feinstein (now US Senator).  Her husband invested in huge real estate projects, and the ruination of famous and historical views were lost by the buildings, most not even architecturally appealing, were erected.

Let's keep our beautiful Duke City 'low rise'.  I agree w/Ramon that I'd rather see our Sandias.

Having also moved here from San Francisco (first the city proper, then more recently the Peninsula), I have to say I strongly prefer density (and the height that comes with it) because it is far more walkable and bikable and, thus, livable.  The Sandias will, thankfully, be the dominant feature of the cityscape no matter how Albuquerque builds up.  I believe high rise buildings can and should compliment the amazing landscape.  San Francisco and Vancouver, BC are great examples of cities that combine density with spectacular landscapes.  I would strongly prefer that Albuquerque move in that direction rather than further continue its unmitigated suburban sprawl.  That sprawl, to me, is a far greater blight on the landscape than a dense urban core.

Ramon T. You don't know how to read or what? I said the CITIES of Albuquerque and Atlanta! Not the stupid metros. I used to live in ATL and it is nothing but small towns surrounding the City of Atlanta making it look bigger.

You don't understand how metro economies work or what? You think all those tall buildings are filled solely by Atlanta proper citizens only? Making it look and what it is are two different things. Like I said, a quarter of the downtown buildings are empty. How about filling those first and making downtown a vibrant area before we build more empty tall buildings.

Another vote for urban infill---not to mention the old motels/hotels along central that they've demolished with no replacement.  I also like that our downtown is "short"--I'd rather see the sky and everything else.  Also, in your original post you mentioned that X,Y, and Z corps are bringing their headquarters here.  Really?

Really?  Unlikely.  "Major" corporations are not inclined to relocate to communities that are lacking in support for the arts.  (See NMSO banruptcy.)  Also true that our lack of major corporate presence is one of the reasons for lack of support for arts, entertainment and culture.  (See BioPark millions short for deferred maintenance.)  You simply don't get that kind of monetary infusion from government employers.  (As in it's not the FBI Concert Series at Popejoy.)  Our next best opportunity is the recently PNM vacated Alvarado Square.   Ideally it will be occupied by a single tenant who will support our community and provide an example to others. 

totally agree with Timothy, the sprawl in this city is killing us. With so many empty lots in and around our core, I'd love to see some higher density developments happen.

I don't know the "real" reason, but I know why I don't appreciate tall buildings. I avoid them because of the traffic and the need to pay for parking. In the last decade the only place in downtown Albuquerque that I have frequented is the public library and only because the material there could not be found elsewhere. I know I am quirky in this regard, but I was born and raised in San Antonio, NM, where the yellow-light intersection at Highway 1 and US-380 (the Owl Bar intersection) seemed like a major impediment. 

I'm not sure why but I feel I must contribute to this post by saying that I, personally, do NOT want taller buildings in Albuquerque. I've always appreciated that the city seems oriented to the Sandias.  I mean in Atlanta - what view do they have that buildings will block? Nothing.  Also, as noted, we can't even fill up the buildings that are already built especially in light of reading that PNM is going to empty out the Alvarado Square offices.  Drove down Louisiana yesterday and was distressed simply that the new Walmart or Target or whatever that new building is that blocks the view of the Sandias from Winrock.  I didn't like that at all.  I was totally disoriented.

^ Albuquerque could build the tallest building in the world, and it wouldn't block the view of the Sandias, due to downtown's distance from the Sandias, and the fact that, well, the Sandias are pretty wide. Not to mention the fact that most folks live between downtown and the Sandias.

As for the Target, really? I mean, I couldn't see the Sandias from the front porch where I used to live, but I could still see the Sandias if I walked a few feet. That situation is the same no matter where in ABQ you are.

That said, I agree, there's no reason to build skyscrapers in downtown ABQ at this juncture. However, there is a need for more infill buildings in the 2-10 story range on empty lots throughout Albuquerque.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, SophieAdelitaKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service