I heard that a small, unleashed dog was taken by a red hawk on the trails at Elena Gallegos.  Is it safe for a small dog to roam in her yard in the NE Heights?  What about the far NE Heights?

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If a red-tailed hawk took a dog, that must have been a very small dog indeed. If this happened, I wonder if it was actually a golden eagle, which is much larger. In any case, it was a very rare occurrence and not one you should worry about happening again. Coyotes are probably a much bigger concern where dogs are concerned.

A lady who lives in the Country Club area, about six blocks from Tingley Beach, told me that an owl grabbed one of her cats, then (if I recall correctly) dropped it. The cat did not survive. :(  She told me this story after I told her I had seen a hawk sitting in a tree across from her home. Hawks have a nest in the park there and this year raised at least one baby. Given the size of adult sharp-shinned (or Cooper) hawks, I expect they find it easier to go after plump pigeons and doves, rats, mice and maybe small rabbits and squirrels.  While I think it's cool to have wildlife in the city, even downtown, it means one must be aware of the possibility that small pets may be in danger of becoming lunch.

I did see a what I think was a Cooper's Hawk in Hyder Park eying an extremely tiny little dog as it trotted after its owner off-leash, but it didn't try to catch it. I've certainly heard stories about bird of prey making off with small dogs around Albuquerque. I may even actually happen once in a great while, but it would have to be a very small dog and a very determined bird.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Melissa Ewer posted an event
Thumbnail

Nearly All You Ever Wanted to Know About BLM's Native Plant Materials and Seeds of Success Program at New Mexico Museum of Natural History

November 5, 2014 from 7pm to 9pm
3 hours ago
Joan Fenicle posted an event
Thumbnail

Harvest Festival at Placitas Community Center

October 26, 2014 from 1pm to 5pm
3 hours ago
Johnny_Mango joined mjh's group
3 hours ago
Johnny_Mango joined Kemper Barkhurst's group
4 hours ago

Members