Could Lifting Film Subsidy Cap Bring More Jobs to ABQ?

Last week, the Democratic Leadership proposed an economic package in hopes of creating more jobs.  Part of the proposal is a lifting of the $50 million film subsidy for three years in hopes of luring more film/TV jobs to the state.  For one, I believe it could be good for the city as we have hosted many productions in the past and have a strong base of workers.  Last year "In Plain Sight"  ended production and the final season of "Breaking Bad" in currently filming.  Could this incentive provide a boost for the film/TV industry in ABQ?  Where does Mayor Berry stand on this proposal? I was against the change to the subsidy decided in 2012.  If not this, then what could be done in the legislature to improve the job climate in ABQ?

Views: 509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oil and gas taxes account for something like 25% of the state general fund with lots of permanent jobs.  

How does that compare to the film industry?

Your right, we get a lot of revenue from this industry.  It keeps us afloat in a sliding economy.  I accept it as a part of the state's overall economy but cant we do more and better in other areas???  Just want to add that the film industry is clean and green, not sure we can say that about the oil and gas industry.  

How is it clean and green?  It has it's fair share of waste.  So much so that they actually came up with a Green Production Guide to help producers go green.

http://www.greenproductionguide.com/

Here is a little excerpt regarding just commercial/advertising production which doesn't include movies/tv series.

Commercial productions generate nearly 18 million pounds of waste per year. A typical shoot day uses over 300 disposable plastic water bottles and generates over 800 pounds of waste. With the fast-paced nature of advertising productions, hazardous materials are often discarded, along with reusable items, wardrobe, set dressing, scenic builds, props and much more that can be connected to the local community.

Edit:  I saw somewhere that the film industry is the second largest industry to receive subsidies in NM.  What about other industries?

Going to have to agree with ramon on this one (pick up the teeth you all dropped now).  The film industry is very, very far from being green.  From generators they run for power to the amount of STUFF they consume and toss and then there are all those frequent flights between LA and Albq. that Handmodel mentioned.  I don't know if the catering companies have an arrangement with organizations like the Roadrunner Food Warehouse or Second Harvest or not--if they don't, then you also have to consider the uneaten food thrown away from each day of filming.

:)

I'm sure things have changed over the years.  My pops (RIP) used to tell me stories.  He started his construction career as a set carpenter in Los Angeles.  He would tell me that after they had built a set and the production was done they would just throw away all the wood and materials.  My father being who is was went to someone high up and asked if he could recycle and/or keep the wood.  They said, sure, we don't need it.  So, he would take the materials and would either use it for other jobs on the weekends or make furniture and sell it in ELA where he lived.  He took that money and started his Kitchen and Bath company which lasted nearly 40 years.

Everything is relative.  In this case the basis of comparison is modern digital production versus traditional "filming" which was highly chemical intensive.  Dailies, rushes, A and B negatives and finally projection prints that all required substantial chemical processing.  The things that are being mentioned are common across many activities that claim "green".  I'm guessing there are construction roll-offs on the street in front of those "green" homes being built at Mesa del Sol and elsewhere.

Of course it's relative. Though it is absolutely ridiculous for someone to claim the film industry is a clean and green industry.

They're not really clean and green. They need lots of power for lighting and equipment. On location this is provided by large diesel generators that emit lots of smelly, eye-burning fumes. If the conditions are right these fumes hug the ground and spread throughout the neighborhood.

The Governor says lifting the cap on film subsidies creates budget "uncertainty".  Then she proposes a $1000 per worker tax credit to employers who bring on new hires and keep them for two years.  Am I supposed to believe she knows by how much tax revenue will be reduced two years from now due to these credits.  I guess Dem uncertainty is bad and Rep uncertainty is good.

Im not sure if the $1000, tax credit per worker will work for small business.  No employer will hire someone just for the credit, business for that particular company has to be good.  Im not convinced we have a positive, growing economy in New Mexico where this kind of tax credit would work. 

Just want to say to all, thanks for the discussion.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service