This came over the NM biking list serve earlier today. It's the second report of some freak stringing a wire across the bike/walking paths in ABQ. The other was on a trail near the river. Scary! Stay vigilant out there ...

"I was riding the paved trail along I-40 heading east when I was clotheslined by a wire strung across the path. The wire was about 150 yards before the Juan Tabo tunnel. I was knocked out for a while and was taken to the emergency room. I am OK with some road rash and bruises but it could have been much worse had I been headed west. It is downhill going west and I would have been moving much faster. Beware to all."

Tags: cycling

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is just so screwed up. Bad enough we have to fight the motorists out on the road, but now even the trails are becoming perilous.
That is awful! Thanks for the heads-up (no pun intended).
I believe there were also reports of a wire being strung across the dirt section of the Bosque Trail north of Alameda.
That's where I ride - I will check it out! You go slow enough on the dirt to hopefully be able to see it???
Too bad the local news stations don't at least give the bicycle community a heads up. I guess someone has to die before the Police and the Media will bother with it. Thanks for the warning!
Ch. 4 just teased a story for the 10pm news....
You forgot, "Qurque Jerkies" and "Jackassery" in your tags and "alert" or even "warning." Good to hear you're all right. I always did want an excuse a reason for brandishing a sword while bicycling and now I think I finally have a valid one.

[edited] btw: I stumbled onto KRQE's Report while reading something else
Ch 7 did talk about it during the Balloon Fiesta when discussing the valet parking for bikes, warning people that in the last couple weeks at least two wires had been found stretched acrossed paths.
What doofwads. Hope they find the perpetrators - and very glad to hear you are ok. I've posted the link on my ABQCityLife feed to help spread the news to warn others.
When I read about stuff like this, I wish that there were something other than the human race to which I could belong :(
So concerning.
I saw kids stringing wires with reflective tags across ridgecrest one night last winter. I was in the park with the dogs and a car driving up screeched to a stop & was hit from behind by another car. sounds much along the same line, no pun intended...

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service