Even after I moved here 13 years ago I was agog at the lack of fun dancing spots in town, and I moved here from GREEN BAY, where there was at least one non-weird-meat-market gay dance club, and two other places whose main focus was 1) dance 2) drink.

Really good DJs that play non-trancy, non-hiphop stuff are preferred.  

Like.... transition from DeLight to Lady Gaga to White Stripes to Pet Shop Boys.  Fun dancy stuff but with a slightly goth/grunge edge, in a nutshell.

So - does it exist?  For those that have been here awhile, the closest I've seen in this vein were:  Club Blu about 5 years ago, UN (downtown at 2nd) about 15 years ago, some gay bar also about 15 years ago (I don't think it's the one that is still around...), and long long ago the Sunshine Theater did club stuff.

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what are you looking for exactly?
I would highly recommend the Mashup Test. It happens every 2nd Friday of the month at Blackbird Buvette. 10ish?
Q Bar in Hotel Albuquerque, near old town. But get there early, like 9-9:30 pm or there will be a long, slow line to get in. Also they are very particular about IDs, no temporary paper things. I think men have to wear shirts w/ a collar too.
Ummm...no. Sad but true, the Burque lacks variety :/

Effex downtown is a really fun gay club. You aren't going to get that mix that you described though. Typically the downstairs is Top 40 set to a house mix and the rooftop patio can sometimes be the same, but can also get more housey/trancey depending on the DJ. I have never had a bad time there though.

I am not a Q-bar fan...at all. There is another place called Casa Escencia that is ok. It's the old Maria Teresa restaurant and the space itself is amazing. There is a $20 cover so it's probably the most expensive place in Abq to get in. They place music similar to what I hear at Effex, at least when I have been there they do.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, AdelitaSophieKitson

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service