Here are just a few of mine:

• People who keep their headlights on in a drive-thru - @ night
  • People who are crossing traffic, but don’t use the center left turn lane
  • People who are in the second turn lane that cut off your line of sight when turning – even though there's clearly a white line marking where you should remain while waiting to turn (specifically heading Eastbound on I-40 from Rio Grande Blvd.)

BACKGROUND:

Anyhow, this morning I was the first car turning left at an intersection where there wasn’t a LEFT TURN signal. When the light turned green, I still sat there.  Being the first car to turn, I did NOT edge my way into the intersection.

I don’t like hanging out in the middle of the intersection.  There are people who run red lights.  And even if it's clear nobody is running the red light, I still stay stopped.  BUT, I do pay attention to see the last of the oncoming cars, AND then begin to move slowly into the intersection so that by the time the last car passes, I’m already in motion. 

However, the woman behind me clearly didn’t like that I was not the kind of person that sits in the intersection before turning. She was gesticulating madly like a crazed flight attendant for me to move forward.

Okay, I could understand if I didn’t move UNTIL the last car from the oncoming traffic passed why she'd be upset.  But really, I’m not sure there is that much difference in saving time.  Also, it wasn’t during rush hour where there’s a pile of left turning cars preventing adjacent traffic from continuing to go straight

In fact, I think my method is faster because I’m already in motion rather than having to start from a dead stop while in the intersection, but I could be wrong.  

QUESTION:

So, how many of you have a pet peeve about drivers who do not edge out and sit in the middle of the intersection waiting to make that left turn?

-------------------

(I'm hoping that this doesn't turn into some kind of venomous exchange of ABQ-drivers-suck, but I'm just curious as to how many people really do get upset at those who just don't want sit out there in the intersection.)

Tags: drving, pet peeves

Views: 1351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I may be wrong, but I thought the far left lane was really for PASSING only.  It's not really a FAST lane despite that you are supposed to go faster in that lane.  I'm pretty sure that if you are not moving fast enough, you need to move out of the way to ALLOW for the faster vehicle behind you right of way.

Although, I like how, now, when you flash your lights at the slower moving vehicle to move aside, they take it as a cue to be jerk and drive even slower.  It must be related to the whole turn signal thing whereby the adjacent driver takes this sign to move up preventing you from moving over.

The NM drivers manual calls the far left lane or #1 lane a passing lane and makes no distinction between city and highway but in traffic I would say this rule doesn't apply.

I guess I should have been clearer; I was talking (complaining!) about driving on the highway within the city. this is markedly different than the highway outside of city limits because of the significant increase of traffic entering and exiting, which can cause a lot of variability in driving speed and seems rife with "unexpected maneuvers." I agree that the rules are different on surface streets. and cooperation, yeah!

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

items in Duke City Fix More Duke City Fix photos

Latest Activity

Nkazi Sinandile posted events
5 hours ago