Has anyone found a place in Albuquerque that regularly makes French macarons? Any leads are greatly appreciated!

Views: 1461

Replies to This Discussion

You are welcome. I like a lemoned pastry creme as a filling.

One thing, I don't recommend is using a silpat or similar silicone liner in the pan, the parchment ( not wax paper ) is important.

The biggest problem with ground almonds are several fold ( no pun intended ). Getting them the correct fineness, the water content and freshness of the almonds themselves, and proper balance of moisture in the egg-whites against the water content of the ground almonds.

I will not claim they are exactly like the classic but they are full proof as long as you don't use too much sugar and measure ( weigh ) the flour. Some have tried mixing cake and all purpose flour to reduce the active structure plain flour gives to match the ground almond texture ... it's a matter of your personal expectations

There is also a coconut macaroon cookie recipe from Gilchrist. The key here is "fresh" coconut rather than the typical packaged coconut ( packaged is a disaster ) and some what larger shreds in the mix. This recipe lacks sugar so the "sweetened" condensed milk is a must! Be sure the edges of the shreds show definite "browning". Greasing the cookie sheet or parchment is essential. The question is what is "grease", it needs to be very neutral, personally I pick unsalted butter ( lightly ) on the parchment paper. The recipe doesn't call for sugar but "sweetened" coconut is common in packages, adding an 1/8 cup of sugar is probably a good idea if you are grating your own coconut.

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/cookie-recipes/gilchri...
Interesting, I've used slipats in the past - maybe that's part of my problem.

I'll definitely give the Gilchrist recipe a shot. Thx,
I hear the St. James Tearoom now has macarons for sale! I'm going to tea there tomorrow so I'm hoping to snag some!

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Popejoy Hall posted events
3 minutes ago
dillydallydewey commented on dillydallydewey's blog post Art, Kids, Albuquerque!
9 minutes ago
dillydallydewey commented on dillydallydewey's blog post Art, Kids, Albuquerque!
9 minutes ago
ABC Library posted events
1 hour ago

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, SophieAdelitaKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service