In the 1940s, there was a German POW camp about two miles south of downtown off 2nd St.  Originally it was north of the zoo, but it was moved south, to the north end of the Schwartzman property.  There was this intriguing article about it in the Alb. Journal about 14 years ago.  Does anyone know where this is?

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think I just found it on the map.  Going to poke around tomorrow,

I'd like to know what you find out.

Well, you probably already found it, but indeed it was on the Schwartzman property.  Don't think much remains of it now, though.  However, I was told by a member of the Schwartzman family that they got their sausage recipe from the German prisoners who worked at the meat packing plant. 

Yes, I found it.  Some concrete pillars and foundations left.  The land is for sale and I'm surprised they aren't using this history in their marketing...  The story in the paper about the letters the prisoners and the Schwartzman family exchanged after the war was very touching.

Next time you are taking visitors on a "little known Albuquerque" tour, this can be your next stop after the glass garden, as it is just down the road.

Glass garden? 

A long time ago, there was a dump next to the Rio Grande, just south of the baseball fields south of the Hispanic Cultural Center.  It was all burned off and only mountains of glass remain.  It is a great place to poke around and look for treasures.  Especially if your treasures are broken glass! 

Johnny Mango wrote a story about it here on DCF once, I believe.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service