Goodwill Industries of New Mexico and Dell offer environmentally safe, secure, free computer equipment recycling

Goodwill Industries of New Mexico has partnered with Dell’s Reconnect Program, a free drop-off program for consumers who want to responsibly recycle any brand of unwanted computer equipment. Consumers can drop off any brand of used equipment, in any condition, at the ten Goodwill donation centers statewide and request a donation receipt for tax purposes, including the four locations in Albuquerque.

Reconnect offers consumers a free, secure, convenient and responsible way to recycle used computer equipment, in any condition. The program is intended to raise awareness of the importance of responsible computer disposal and give residents a free and convenient way to do the right thing with their unwanted computer equipment.

All proceeds of value recovered from the recycled computer equipment go to Goodwill Industries of New Mexico to support job training and employment services programs.

Computers and computer equipment can be donated at the following locations in Albuquerque:
5000 San Mateo NE (San Mateo just south of McLeod)
6636 Caminito Coors NW (just south of Coors and Paseo del Norte)
3211 Coors SW (northwest corner of Coors and Rio Bravo)
1108 Juan Tabo NE (Juan Tabo between Constitution and Lomas)

The goal of the program is to keep used computers and computer equipment from landfills and to educate residents on the importance of proper computer recycling. While computers are safe to use, they do contain some environmentally sensitive materials. These materials can be safely removed or recycled, but only if the computers are kept out of landfills in the first place. Previously New Mexicans have had very few options when it came to disposing their old equipment. The Reconnect Program gives residents a free, green and convenient way to do it.

For more information about Goodwill Industries of New Mexico and its programs, visit goodwillnm.org.

Tags: Goodwill, computers, employment, environment, nonprofit, recycling, tech

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is great! Are the hard drives wiped, as well?
Thanks! On the question about wiping the hard drives, Dell and Goodwill Industries do not accept liability for lost or confidential data or software. We would advise that those interested in donating make sure to remove and/or backup data before they make the donation.
Yes back up the data than use a program like this. Set for wipe free space Maybe even reinstall and than wipe free space. http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/
Then stop in the Goodwill store and stock up on their great deals.
Thanks Goodwill!
Dee
If I could turn the computer on again, I would wipe it myself. I guess the next step is a giant magnet...
@Kat - you could try putting the hard drive in an external hard drive enclosure and see how that works. My 7-year old Dell PC died on me about 2 weeks ago and I got a new PC. There were some files that would be nice to have but not required off my old dell so I decided to try putting the hard drive in an external enclosure I have and the hard drive worked fine to grab the files. I suppose I could wipe the drive and reinstall XP and make the old Dell work again but I think I'm living on borrowed time with the hard drive in the old dell considering the drive's life specification is 5 years and I've been very harsh on it with my multimedia editing/rendering over the years.
Is this on going or is there a time window?
@Bentley - This is an ongoing program. Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Feel free to post anymore questions. Also FYI, this program kept over 73,000 pounds of e-waste out of landfills in New Mexico last month alone.
We are holding an e-waste recycling rally this weekendat the Goodwill on San Mateo. Bring your e-waste and support a good cause!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service