Happy Earth Day to you! Looks like it will be a beautiful New Mexico day to get out and enjoy Mother Earth. We should be living our lives in a eco-positive way everyday, but it is nice to get much of the rest of the folks at least partially aware of our delicate planet and maybe to commit ourselves a bit more to the cause.

What are you doing for Earth Day?

I'll take a nice bike ride, which is something I do frequently anyway, and will leave the car in the garage. I got a head start on Earth Day yesterday, by hanging my washing on the clothes line rather than run the dryer. That is my Earth Day resolution: to air dry my washed clothes as often as I can. They really dry quickly in our low humidity - try it for yourself.

Do you have an Earth Day resolution to follow throughout the year?

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good subject. I plan on spending the day in the bosque, just enjoying nature. But that's something I do often, so it's not especially for Earth Day.
This year I'd like to do more recycling. Certain things can be recycled curbside, but others have to be taken to recycling centers. I plan on attempting to figure out this complex system :) so that I can reduce my waste.
Another area I'd like to focus on is conserving water. Not sure yet how I'm going to do it, but it is important to me, so efforts will be made.
Certainly there is a lot of "green washing" by corporate America and retailers jumping on the band wagon, but I think the message still gets across even if diluted.

Earth Day certainly wasn't created by retailers or the mainstream. I remember my first Earth Day in 1970, which may in fact be the first Earth Day according to what I've read. It was a small gathering of liberals (read: hippies) and a few professors in a grassy area next to the Student Union at a large university that shall remain nameless.

The organizers had a silk screen board set up and we made our own Earth Day T-shirts by literally peeling the shirts off our backs and having the logo screened on right there!

Speaking of Earth Day emails, although a day early, I received 4 yesterday in rapid succession with the subject "Convert Your Car To Run On WATER!" Supposed to make your car "at least 40% more fuel efficient" and I'm sure your wallet at least 60% lighter!
Great idea, Bosque Bill! in this time when ACTION is needed.
I think mine will be to leave our car at home one day a week - and take public transport, carpool, bike or walk that day.

Yeah, all the piggy-backing on Earth Day bugs me a bit too, NMGH. I wonder at the sincerity sometimes. But it is a good cause. It's similar to how I feel when the stores start putting out Xmas stuff for sale before Halloween.

I like what the country of Bolivia is proposing - that we change it to "Mother" Earth Day. I just heard that this morning on Native America Calling.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

neal copperman posted events
3 hours ago
Albuquerque Magic Show posted an event

Hocus Pocus at KiMo Theatre

November 29, 2014 from 3pm to 9pm
5 hours ago
Kristin Diana Cunnar commented on Tom McVeety's event UNM Composers Concert
5 hours ago
Kristin Diana Cunnar shared Tom McVeety's event on Twitter