I think that any number of suites at the Gold Lofts, on the first floor, that are still empty, could be combined to create a sensibly-sized, premium full-service supermarket. We're talking organic and a meat counter, a pharmacy and an ATM.

A girl can dream, no?

This supermarket would service the now-struggling stream of up-and-comings, hip and/or professionals who bought into the downtown loft appeal when it was presented to us. It would service the daily population that finds themselves downtown for any number of reasons throughout the day (example: my son attends Lew Wallace Elementary school), as well as neighborhoods nearest downtown that can currently turn to Lowe's on Lomas and 12th or Stadium Market on Avenida Cesar Chavez and Broadway. It would be the last convenience stop before people hop on the Rail Runner, and a mercifully close emergency pit stop if one is already on the train and needs a life essential in a pinch. It would be a well-run, clean environment that appeals to the metro-conscious and eco-friendly.

Downtown needs a grocery store. Discuss.

Tags: albuquerque, albuqueruqe, business, downtown, economy, food, future, grocery, rail, runner, More…store

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you one who "bought into the downtown loft appeal"?
Lol no. I live in a sensible apartment right off our dear downtown, but I could throw a rock to the downtown grocery from my place, if I was vandal-minded. That said, I have professional friends that made the move downtown to be closer to work, bars, etc. Funny how the bars supersede food stuffs. Yay bars!
call wallmart they love to put one but the neigbor assosiation will put you in execution squad immidiatly ha
Rudy,

WalMart's already there! They have a new retail model called Marketside that would be perfect for Downtown. But if the WalMart brand isn't the kiss of death, OMG, they sell wine that doesn't cost $40 a bottle. See www.marketside.com.
That is true. I don't even know if a CVS would fly at Broadway and Central. We are more into the local shops and things. But, we do need our drugs.
I wonder if the folks who did the Downtown Lofts had studies that showed them the lofts would work. I also wonder if these are the same projections that are saying that a grocery store downtown won't work?
How about we set up a credit account with some grocery store in the heights, put GPS trackers on a few bicycles, and hire our "street people" (Aren't we supposed to call them People of the Street?) to run a delivery service?
Soooo...what are we going to call the new supermarket?

I suggest Roadrunner's. Or El Super.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, SophieAdelitaKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service