In today's Albuquerque Journal:  http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2012/02/23/news/council-oks-map-cutt...

I hope people start paying attention to the actions of our city council - which I believe has become less representative of the city's political make-up over the past couple of years. I'm also hoping Democrats and progressives come up with some quality candidates for the new city council districts and for mayor (though that election is still 2 years out). Can't get organized soon enough...

From the article: 

"...almost every one of the city’s federally designated “pockets of poverty” will now lie in one of nine council districts."

"Public testimony at the meeting was overwhelmingly against the plan that was eventually adopted. Many opponents were neighborhood leaders from older neighborhoods in the urban core.

Javier Benavidez, president of the Barelas Neighborhood Association, said the map amounts to “abandoning the neighborhoods that need the City Council the most.”

Views: 2330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the link for the Albuquerque Redistricting Committee is anyone wants to find the information and maps. Most of you have been represented by a neighborhood association or a coalition of neighborhood associations. My question is how many of you have any idea who your neighborhood association is and how they have represented you? A lot of these groups only meet once a year to elect a board and then the board runs things until the next year and often it has been the same people since the beginning of time. You can find out your neighborhood association info by going to Albuquerque City Planning and clicking on Office of Neighborhood Coordination.

Here is the link:  http://www.cabq.gov/planning/nbrcoord/neighassociations.html

And, as newly elected president of the University Heights Association (and I've only been around for a couple of years) I agree that it is important to get involved.  Also, our meetings are open to anyone in the neighborhood, we post information on our website: http://uhanm.org

Just noticed on internet news that Mayor Berry approved the Council's decision for Map L.  I thought there was a modest chance that he might propose a compromise since he has been more of a centrist.  What a shame.  It looks like this may be headed to the judicial branch...

don't really know how much difference it'll make. we in albuquerque are just biding our time with our present for of government. Sooner or later (preferably sooner) we'll find that we're going to have to merge the city and county governments to reduce costs, and eliminate wasteful duplication of services. We canargue over the current plan to shift district boundaries, or we can plan for the future which was presented almost 6 years ago by a group of city business and community leaders who developed a plan to merge the two governments allowing for 11 seperate districts, with three levels of taxation (based upon the level of services offered to rural areas), and one for of a county manager, and eleven council members. We would also reduce our police forces from 4 seperate departments (bern sherriffs, apd, airport, and aps schools police departments) into one entity, reduce the costs of fire protection by mergin county and city units into one fire department, and we could eliminate the two seperate governing bodies vyeing for control of the city and county. This is an eventuality, it hashappened in almost everysingle case where the city and county are competing with a population this size, and it has worked to reduce taxes, reduce costs, and eliminate duplicity in services. Indiannapolis Indiana, Los Angelos California, and othe major cities have devloped these plans successfully. We're growing the city out into county lands every year, and eventually the county is going to say stop and then we'll have lawyers and courts deciding. what we need is to make the decision to move ahead now and move to the future!

Please provide your source for the Los Angelos (sic) citation.

Whether or not consolidation would save any money is a good discussion for another thread.  But the plan you reference would do nothing to address the current dispute.  The "ideal" population for each new city district is 60,675.  If you consolidate and create 11 districts, based again on the 2010 census, the new "ideal" population is 60,233, a difference of only 442.  If the concept of communities of interest has any import at all, those two additional districts will be an East Mountain centric district and a South Valley centric district.  So you are then left with pretty much what we are dealing with now.

This isn't a bad idea...though I would prefer to see County government merged into the existing structure as much as possible. The existing County Commission seems to be plagued with corruption and incompetence at near-PRC levels, a situation that persists even against the best efforts of reformers like Maggie Hart Stebbins and others...

I know it seems like you're the 99% when you never leave Nob Hill or the university area...but there really aren't very many progressives here as a whole. You just get a lot of Hispanic Democrat cooperation...they aren't progressive, they are devout Catholics...but they are corrupt so they make good bedfellows. They also have the same interest in keeping people poor and dependent, it's their constituency.I think the notion that progressive actually "help" the poor is running out of steam anyway. Time for a new strategy guys.

Hi troll! how are things under the bridge?

Going well Phil, how are things at the commune?

Huh. Well, this, his latest troll post, seems to indicate what I'd begun to suspect: it's a spam bot. I mean, how else to explain it. The bot saw a title that had something to do with government and randomly replied with an unrelated racist jab. Go figure.

Actually...the bot sniffs for Patchouli. It's amazingly accurate too.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service