Noticed an increase in noise pollution since the new base commander took over? Witnessing disregard by KAFB for the City Noise Abatement ordinance (PDF)? Is your neighborhood bombarded all night by noise like this?

There have been an increasingly large number of Albuquerque residents complaining on this forum, Facebook, and in the ABQ Journal, about noise issues from our southernmost neighbor. Now's your chance to voice a concern.

Though this meeting is for the Parkland Hills area, anyone from Nob Hill or Ridgecrest is welcome to attend and voice their concern to Martin Heinrich's office and a representative from KAFB:

TONIGHT OCT 5 @ 6:30pm
http://www.dukecityfix.com/group/fringecresters/forum/topics/parkla...

Come out and let Kirtland hear your concerns.

UPDATE:

Did you miss the meeting? You can still voice your concerns by doing the following (suggested by a journalist friend who covered KAFB for years):

• Call the KAFB public relations # EVERY time you have a noise complaint. The # is 505-846-5991.
  • More noise? Call again. As my journalist friend put it, "If they're making noise, you can make noise."

WHO TO CONTACT:
  • District 6 City Councilor Rey Garduno (reygarduno@cabq.gov) who is the person responsible for reporting to the City that KAFB is not complying with regulations and that citizens are concerned.
  • US Rep Martin Heinrich at (505) 346-6781 (Nobody responded to me from their web contact form)
  • NM Senator for District 16, CiscoMcSorley at cisco.mcsorley@nmlegis.gov

Why is it important you call? Because KAFB is required to file every complaint made by a citizen and report these regularly. Allowable noise is in some part based on the appearance that a community thinks it's OK. If you only call once, that's only 1 complaint tracked for an entire year's worth of noise. So don't let anyone on this site or from KAFB intimidate you into thinking your phone call is unimportant. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Your voice matters and the more often you express it, the more often the taxpayer-funded military is required by law to respond.

Tags: KAFB, Kirtland

Views: 413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so glad someone is finally taclking this issue. While we're on the subject, here are a few other annoyances I've noticed since moving here:

-That large mountain to the east keeps my home in shadow for at least 40 minutes after sunrise

-The lack of ranifall is wreaking havoc with my fern garden

-All of my organic whole grain, sea-salt leavened, no-knead bread recipes don't seem to work

Baffling.
I wish there were a "like" button on DCF. I'd be liking the heck out of this reply.
Add another that would be clicking on that 'like' button.
DISLIKE
Dang, sorry to have just seen this! Chantal, can you provide an update or direct me to an update on the KAFB noise abatement plan?
Hi there, I haven't seen notes from last night's meeting yet though I heard it got quite heated. Several old timers (and KAFB employees) note that the recent noise is unprecedented.

Here's the noise abatement ordinance (PDF)

And here's information on the Kirtland Joint Land Use Study in which it was recommended that Kirtland recognize it's now part of an urban environment and change its behavior accordingly: http://www.mrcog-nm.gov/land-aamp-water-mainmenu-158/kirtland-study...

I know that KAFB tracks noise complaints, so you're encouraged to make a call or send an email for every occurrence that bothers you. Here's more information.

377ABW.PA@kirtland.af.mil
Phone: 505-846-5991
Terrific! Many thanks.
Sure thing. Also, here's the noise abatement letter of agreement between KAFB and the City that specifically restricts neighborhood flyovers and engine run-up noise after 10pm.

http://www.cabq.gov/airport/documents/noiseabatement.pdf

"Engine run- ups for maintenance purposes, both on and off the aircraft, are restricted by City Ordinance (Chapter 9, Article 9, Section 11) and base regulation (KAFBI 202) between the hours of 10:00 pm and 7:00 am."
interesting - i don't think hot-fueling falls under that limitation since it isn't a run-up or maintenance.

in fact, that agreement is pretty toothless. it has basic horizontal & vertical routing limits (most airports nowadays have noise abatement procedures that all pilots should fly to avoid pissing off neighbors) but has no sound intensity limitations for operations on field.
The base has been there since the 40s, same with the airport. It's not exactly a secret.

Where is that like button.
Oh seriously, folks, we're not talking about a few flights here. That would be reasonable.

We're talking about 6 hours STRAIGHT of engine noise, from 7pm to 1am. The kind of noise you can hear through the house with all the windows closed. I don't think 8 hours of sleep is too much to ask.
a wimpy world!?
maybe some of us just want a little peace, is that too much to ask? what is so wimpy about wanting a peaceful existence?
and I don't live in the city, I live on the northwest side.
we are bombarded by noise pollution beginning at 7:00am, construction, backup beepers, barking/unattended dogs, leaf blowers, very low flying aircraft, etc etc
it sucks.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
happiness for me equals peace...

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

items in Duke City Fix More Duke City Fix photos

Latest Activity

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.