Noticed an increase in noise pollution since the new base commander took over? Witnessing disregard by KAFB for the City Noise Abatement ordinance (PDF)? Is your neighborhood bombarded all night by noise like this?

There have been an increasingly large number of Albuquerque residents complaining on this forum, Facebook, and in the ABQ Journal, about noise issues from our southernmost neighbor. Now's your chance to voice a concern.

Though this meeting is for the Parkland Hills area, anyone from Nob Hill or Ridgecrest is welcome to attend and voice their concern to Martin Heinrich's office and a representative from KAFB:

TONIGHT OCT 5 @ 6:30pm
http://www.dukecityfix.com/group/fringecresters/forum/topics/parkla...

Come out and let Kirtland hear your concerns.

UPDATE:

Did you miss the meeting? You can still voice your concerns by doing the following (suggested by a journalist friend who covered KAFB for years):

• Call the KAFB public relations # EVERY time you have a noise complaint. The # is 505-846-5991.
  • More noise? Call again. As my journalist friend put it, "If they're making noise, you can make noise."

WHO TO CONTACT:
  • District 6 City Councilor Rey Garduno (reygarduno@cabq.gov) who is the person responsible for reporting to the City that KAFB is not complying with regulations and that citizens are concerned.
  • US Rep Martin Heinrich at (505) 346-6781 (Nobody responded to me from their web contact form)
  • NM Senator for District 16, CiscoMcSorley at cisco.mcsorley@nmlegis.gov

Why is it important you call? Because KAFB is required to file every complaint made by a citizen and report these regularly. Allowable noise is in some part based on the appearance that a community thinks it's OK. If you only call once, that's only 1 complaint tracked for an entire year's worth of noise. So don't let anyone on this site or from KAFB intimidate you into thinking your phone call is unimportant. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Your voice matters and the more often you express it, the more often the taxpayer-funded military is required by law to respond.

Tags: KAFB, Kirtland

Views: 413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you so much for this posting. i have been talking to the city and the base for over 2 years due to late night noise. and i am not asking for unreasonable hours. some nights i sat up watching movies until 4 a.m. because of the noise and yes, i do have ear plugs and yes, i did run a fan. but i just happened to buy this house during the time of year when base is relatively quiet and not one person i asked spoke up and said wait...some of the time it is unbearable! thank you.
Appreciate the measured responses here. @lcaldero, I really appreciate your thoughtful and balanced perspective. Thank you for sharing it.

You're right, there should be a way to balance interests. And in fact, that's already been done. That's why there are City Ordinances (Chapter 9, Article 9, Section 11) and KAFB regulations (KAFBI 202) that regulate the allowable hours and types of noises permitted. These ordinances have been in place for 6 years or more.

For some reason, in the past couple of months, Kirtland is not complying with established regulations. Fortunately, we don't live under some sort of military junta so the community can pressure KAFB to comply with existing law. I suspect that most rational people are simply looking for peaceful coexistence between KAFB and the community.

A journalist friend who covered KAFB for years suggested I do the following:

• Call the KAFB public relations # EVERY time I have a noise complaint. That # again is 505-846-5991.
  • More noise? Call again. As my journalist friend put it, "If they're making noise, you can make noise."
  • Also send an email to City Councilor Rey Garduno (reygarduno@cabq.gov) who is the person responsible for reporting to the City that KAFB is not complying with regulations and that citizens are concerned.

Why is it important you call? Because KAFB is required to file every complaint made by a citizen and report these regularly. Allowable noise is in some part based on the appearance that a community thinks it's OK. If you only call once, that's only 1 complaint tracked for an entire year's worth of noise. So don't let anyone on this site or from KAFB intimidate you into thinking your phone call is unimportant. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Your voice matters and the more often you express it, the more often the taxpayer-funded military is required by law to respond.

At the end of the day, KAFB plays a valuable role in our economy and our democracy, so I don't think anyone is advocating they disappear. Many citizens ARE however voicing a concern over what seems a blatant disregard for the health of area communities. This shouldn't be too difficult a problem to solve.
You're probably already familiar with the literature, but there is quite a bit of research out there showing how sustained noise pollution can have an impact on health. Let me know if you need any citations/referrals.
Thanks for the info, Chantal. I live in Nob Hill and I, too, have noticed a big increase in night time aircraft noise coming from Kirtland. And you're correct, it doesn't stop at 10:00 p.m. I'd also like to know why the big commercial jets use the North runway on days when wind direction is not a factor. This puts them directly over downtown as they pull up. An accident there would be catastrophic. If wind or construction is not a factor, these flights should be departing either East or West or South, over less populated areas of the county. I guess this is an issue that Council member Garduno can take up with the FAA.
I would tend to say it's going to be rare when wind isn't a factor in the Mid-Rio Grande Valley. Aside from that, my feeling is that aircraft taking off from any airport must place safety above all other concerns and it's rarely going to be safer to take off facing Sandia Crest than to take off over downtown. They can run a noise abatement climb-out to mitigate the sound to the North but they can't really do anything but climb hard and then stand it on the left wing if they take off to the East.
UPDATE: Here's the kind of noise we're talking about for hours, literally til 1am or longer.

Wow. Now I know what I'm hearing from Nob Hill every night at 9p.m.
J to the O-B-S. It is a core component of our economy whether you directly participate in KAFB or not. Slow your roll, think about the impacts if we didn't have KAFB, and consider the risk with the next round of base closures coming up. You may think you are immune economically by not getting a check from them or being self-employed, but if that base goes, this entire City will suffer tremendously. The system effects reach right down into your pocketbooks, like it or not. That's a fact, jack.

So while I am down for peace and quiet, inidividual rights, city & federal ordinances, I am also thankful for having an employer like that distributing dollars throughout town in an economy like this one.

Proceed with pulling me apart now.
Is somebody suggesting that the base close...or that it would be good if it did? Or that it would not be detrimental to the local economy if it did? I haven't read that comment (maybe I missed it) so why introduce that into the discussion? What I hear you saying is "The base is good for the economy so quit complaining about the noise."

Personally, I would like a better balance between the community needs for peace and quiet and KAFB needs to do what they need to do (I don't know the ins and outs of everything they do on the base and why it needs to be done at a specific time of day). IMHO, in terms of noise, the balance has shifted in the past 2-3 months...maybe this is par for the course...maybe it'll shift back...maybe it requires people voicing their concerns for it to shift back.

>>"So while I am down for peace and quiet, inidividual rights, city & federal ordinances, I am also thankful for having an employer like that distributing dollars throughout town in an economy like this one."

Sure, me too...so that means some kind of balance needs to be found.

P.S. I have no idea what "J to the O-B-S" means.
Because it is part of the discussion, John, and it is a reality in base closure reviews (i.e., flexibility & atomosphere of host community). Inserting that fact into this conversation is not an issue, it's another perspective to be considered... carefully. The fact that this base was an economic engine that built this city we all adore so much is not something to simply acknowledge and toss aside. KAFB takes these complaints seriously, and while finding a balance may be a lot of folks objective, it probably isn't one in a cash strapped federal government.

Don't prescribe what you hear me saying either becuase you wouldn't like me putting words in your mouth. Even with the inappropriate use of quotation marks.

Sorry, may have overshot peoples pop culture knowledge, "J to the O-B-S" means jobs.
OK...I hear what you're saying and I agree that economic factors should be accounted for and factored in...thank you for pointing that out. I'm still not clear on the connection between KAFB possibly closing and noise complaints...are you saying that noise complaints from the host community will influence the gov'ts decision to potentially close KAFB? This is a genuine question...I don't how these processes work.
Hermes 505,
Please consider this -- KAFB had a fuel leak that contaminated ground water. They have to clean it up. It's going to cost money. Expecting the AF to clean up isn't an invitation to close KAFB. Complaining about the noise pollution isn't any different; we who live in the Fringe are saying let's find a way to maintain our health and preserve the night ops mission. The Col who spoke at the meeting was very eloquent about the importance of the night ops training for the squadron. I cannot believe that we cannot balance these interests.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

items in Duke City Fix More Duke City Fix photos

Latest Activity

Profile IconJessicca Kumaalla, mgonz, JD Manning and 3 more joined Duke City Fix
7 hours ago
Marcelle Garfield Cady posted an event
Thumbnail

Jerome Bixby's THE MAN FROM EARTH at Adobe Theater

May 16, 2014 at 8pm to June 8, 2014 at 2pm
8 hours ago
Gail Rubin posted an event
Thumbnail

Albuquerque Death Cafe at Sheila's Sweets

May 3, 2014 from 2:30pm to 4:30pm
8 hours ago
MRMPO posted an event
Thumbnail

Futures 2040 MTP Long-Range Transportation Plan Public Meeting at Mid-Region Council of Governments

April 30, 2014 from 5:30pm to 7pm
9 hours ago

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service