A new Facebook page made the news. The owner started the group on Saturday.  As of Wednesday evening, 11,500 members strong.

Views: 2691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your comments Lee. Hope you will continue. I can't recall Burger Chef.You are right about the bank at Central and San Pedro being a First National Bank,not an Albuquerque National Bank as I had stated earlier.I remember ANB opening a brach in Winrock on the northeast side across from Strombergs.  
Yes, I remember the bank by Strombergs. It was kind of green creme colored. Do you remember the UPSCALE store there in Winrock? Think back, you'll remember! Also, remember when there was a Safeway at Winrock. Imagine that, a grocery store at the mall. I also remember Coffee Dan's there at the front of the mall and the White Winrock Hotel. The upscale restaurant was Diamond Jim's.

From my last post: the Burger Chef buildings are on Central, one by Old Town, one acrss the street from the Fair Gronds , and one just past Wyoming. All on the south side of Central
I remember the Safeway,it was the last store on the west side for a few years. I believe Penneys was just east of Safeway. I remember taking a date to Diamond Jim's many years ago,it didn't help if you know what I mean. Except for occasional visits,I was gone from Albuquerque by January of 1972 and can't remember Burger Chef. I ate a lot of burgers at Bob's Drive-In in about the 7600 bock of Central SE. That would have been in the fifties.
The UPSCALE store there in Winrock I was referring to was Fedway's.  Also, do you know how the name "Winrock" came about?
Don't think so!  Fedway was at Coronado, the Mervyn's/Kohl's building; but, originally was downtown on Copper. Winrock was  from Win Rockafeller.  Can't remember his whole first name. Winfred or Winston something like that.  He was Nelson Rockafeller's brother I think. He was from Arkansas and was the owner of Winrock.  Winrock was originally an open air mall with a canopy covering the mallDon't think so!  Fedway was at Coronado, the Mervyn's/Kohl's building; but, originally was downtown on Copper. Winrock was  from Win Rockafeller.  Can't remember his whole first name. Winfred or Winston something like that.  He was Nelson Rockafeller's brother I think. He was from Arkansas and was the owner of Winrock.  Winrock was originally an open air mall with a canopy covering the mall.
Sorry to say you are incorrect, I guess you think wrong. The location of the Mervyns (where you think Fedway was) was a Liberty House store immediatly prior to it becoming a Mervyns. Before it was a Liberty House it was a Rhodes which was one of the original anchor stores at Coronado. Thus, it was NEVER a Fedways. Fedways was a unit of Federated Department Stores. Dillards bought some units of Federated including the one at Winrock and renamed them Dillards. Winrock was named after Winthrop Rockerfeller.
Right you are Lee. Fedway was located at the northeast end of the original Winrock,adjacent to the ABN branch bank. Stores on the east side of Winrock  included Wards, H Cook Sporting Goods,Stromberg's Mens Wear. There were one or two stores between Stromberg's and Cooks but I can't recall what they were. Can you help Lee? I was last at Winrock in the nineties and it was completely changed from the 1961 center. I remember going to the grand opening and it was a nice change from having to shop downtown or Nob Hill. 
George, do you remember that in the south end of Wards there was a wards restaurant/smack bar? Even though Wards has been gone a long while I still have a few things in my house from them. I can't remember the two stores by Strombergs/Cooks. Let me think about it awhile. I never shopped at Nob Hill. I did shop at Highland Shopping Center They had a Penney's, Lerners, and a Rasco or Sarco, and a McLennans. They were down the street from the Whites, which was 3 stories. Speaking of ANB, do you remember the phone numer for their time and temp. I called it hundreds of times thru the years. I bet whoever has that number now still gets call for time and Temp. Getting back to Winrock, do you remember that Wards had an auto center, too?
Yes, I remember the snack bar in Wards. One of my brothers worked at Whites shortly after it opened. I think that was about 1957 of 58.Can't recall the time/temp phone number at ANB. I had a set of Wards tires on my 54 Ford which lasted me through college. Wards at Winrock had a sattelite tire and auto store out east of the main store. It was the first store one passed when entering from the Pennsylvania entrance. I spent WWII years watching lots of good movies at the LOBO in Nob Hill. I recall that some of the apartments under construction along Pennsylvania at Winrock caught fire and a large section burned to the ground before the fire was extinguished. Have a nice weekend. I just watched Nebraska beat Washington for the second time in twelve months. Now to see if OU can take Florida.

The phone number for time and temp was: 247-1611. It would go like this. "Fix up your home with a loan from Alb National Bank; time: 8:45 pm, temperature 88". I remember the Wards Auto and when the apts started fire. Speaking of fires do you remember when the Masonic Temple burned? The first time I went to the Lobo it was "Benjamin", a movie in French. I didn’t go there again until it started showing dollar movies. Do you remember the Fox Winrock theatre. I think it had a curved screen and showed movies with three cameras at once, Cinerama or something like that. I saw Hercules at the State Theatre. The line went all the way to the alley. I grew-up around Quincy and Constitution area.

Hi Lee,

Funny thing about the old Liberty House in Coronado. I was just out of high school when I was employed by Liberty House. A few months after I started, the store went out of business. I stayed on to help liquidate the inventory and clean up in preparation of the remodel for Mervyn's. While cleaning out all of the stockrooms, I came across a walled off area. There was a small hole in the drywall where I could see in and see fixtures and signage from days gone by. I received permission to bust down a wall and what we found was amazing. There was old signage from the 60's, old props that were displays for the Rhode's Department store you had mentioned, and a old trunk. This old trunk turned out to be a display used by Rhode's many years ago. It was a Jack Daniels distillery kit. Quite a find. The person in charge of the liquidation let me keep that old trunk and I had it for many years. I do not know what happened to it now.

Hi Rand, That sounds like an exciting find. I like to see stuff from days gone by. Old oil cands old kitchen products, or anything from when I was growing up. You say they went out of business a few months after you started. I hope you wern't the cause of them to go under :)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service