Hi, I'm a masters runner training for marathons usually. I've recently moved here from CA and really miss my running peeps. Anyone know a group that trains fairly seriously but has a lot of fun too. I've been doing way to many solo run's and workouts and would love some company. 

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

California International Marathon? 2:59:19.9, my first sub 3:00.

Training with oxygen should help but don't know anyone that has done it. Theory vs reality. Not practical.

For me, trail pace does not correlate to road pace in the least. Too many flat road miles in FL.

Let me know if you want an extra body for the trail run or bike path. Tram or Bosque? I have been doing some short stuff on Tram recently. Along with the speed, I think my days of doing 50k and up at the drop of a hat are also done but should be able to do a couple hours slow.

I've run a 3:05 and 3:06 at CIM but my pr 3:01 is at Twin Cities.

Great. I'll let you know where i'm going when I figure it out. I was thinking foot hill trail 365 this weekend and depending on the next run maybe the Bosque but I run on Tramway several times a week. 

There are a great many myths regarding training at altitude. If you look at independent, original research, you will find that there is no proof that that training at altitude is effective or beneficial. Living at altitude, however, does have its benefits as the breathing muscles, diaphragm and the intercostals, have adapted to the diminished air pressure. The fact is, there are the same amount of Os at 5280 FASL as there are at 100 FASL. The difference is the partial pressure of oxygen is less and the lungs have to work harder to make up for the lack of pressure.

Just keep working on your speed and hill work and you should eventually get back to where you were.

Disclosure: I am an ACSM certified trainer.

There is less oxygen at altitude. O2 constitutes about 21% of the atmosphere independent of altitude however as you go up in elevation, the total amount of atmosphere decreases (partial pressure). In Albuquerque you only have about 82% of the oxygen available in a given volume that you have at sea level.

I do tend to agree there is no benefit to altitude training. There are some benefits however there are also some negatives and in the end they pretty much a wash for most of us.

By the way, I got old last year. Unless the fountain of youth is at the top of that hill, I am not getting back to where I was.

And how old is old?? I'm finding no benefits to me thus far. I've just experienced a down ward spiral of all my fitness decreasing with each passing month despite consistent training. I'm guessing folks adapt differently or just dont. My coach recently talked to an elite coach who trains his group here and it was his feeling that some runners simply never adapt. I'm hope I'm not one of them but we'll see. 

It is normal to go through fluctuations in performance. I'm not sure what your age is, but I'm sure your coach understands this and is hopefully accommodating your training with altered diet, rest and mixing up your workout routine.

I personally went through a plateau then decline in my performance in my early fifties. I stubbornly pushed harder through my training schedule and eventually injured myself. It wasn't until I healed from my injury and changed my routine that I saw my performance increase. I'm now seeing speed work mile repeat times that I hadn't seen since my 40's.

All I can tell you two is that you still have many years of running in you. I started running in 7th grade and still going strong now that I'm approaching 60. I can even say that I believe I am having more fun running now than I did in my 30's and 40's when I was trying to podium every race. Now, if I get in the top ten of my age category, I'm happy. Running should really be about having fun and enjoying the ride.

In the past, I added one year to my definition of old every year. Now, old appears to be 38 and holding. My days of potentially getting faster are over. Now I just have to hold off the decline. A friend who turns 51 in a few weeks can still run a 5k in the 16s so I still have some hope.

After a few weeks being here I can tell a difference but I don't think I adapt as fully as I did 20 years ago when I would go between 500' and 7500'.

Sorry, but 38 is not old ;)

38?? are you kidding me? You are coming up on your fastest years. Maybe not in the mile or lower but for everything higher, pr's are possible. I ran all my PR's at 40-41. Now I'm 42 but moving here has been a death sentence for my faster running so far but I'm not done yet. 

You need to meet my former training group in CA 10ish women  all masters training to make the OT qualifying standard. And whom are they training with mostly. Men! 38-55 year old men who can hammer and all run 2:40's.  My training partner ran her pr of 2:46 at 48. There is lots of hope. 

I watched the trials in houston. there was a 52(ish) woman who ran 2:37. Not her pr but in range. 

As far as my coach matching my training to age. He does a great job with that. We are having to do lots of trial and error here at altitude. I'm the only runner he has at altitude but I'm not sure that matters as runners seem to adapt differently. I'm confident that we will get it right and faster running is still ahead of me. The turnover and speed is there. I just can't hold on to it to save my life for long enough. 

My run splits disagree. They say I am old. Work this last year has also been a major factor making sure I fully feel the effects of my age.

From what I have seen, assuming you live up to your fullest potential from the start, you will peak for the short stuff fairly early and distance (marathons) maybe around mid 30's. I have several older friends that PR as masters and one as a grandmaster but that was mostly due to not living up to their potential early on. Kids and work cut into training time and they also train smarter now.

A funny thing before I moved here was the more competive runners (usually 5k's) were the high school kids and master runners. The master runners seem to be leftovers from the 70's running boom. The following nintendo generation is not as competitive.

For the mile and under I am done. 5k - half I can still improve a little since I never really trained for those. I should be able to drop my marathon time back to about where it was but doubt I will be able to break 2:40 at this point. My better races felt like that is where I would peak. For the ultra's I could easily improve. I have never really raced one. They have always just been a fun break from the road races.

Over the last couple years I got the opportunity to race against some of the ladies in the trials. If I was shooting for around a 2:50, I would try to find one of them. I think in general a lady running a 2:50 is more inclined to run a smart race than a guy. I think most guys running around a 2:50 could probably run a little faster but probably go out a little too fast or do something else dumb (like me).

I hope you are right but I've been told I'll adapt for 8 months now. (I'm giving it a year, then??) I've tried everything. Lots of short speed, Can't tolerate long and fast, HR training, more recently more volume. 9 runs a week. 

I'm a BOC ATC and PTA :-)

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service