What an absolute joy it was yesterday morning (Sunday) to leave my apartment off of 14th Street to head out towards the morning's Church of Beethoven show only to find out I was locked into my own neighborhood with NO WAY to get to Central Ave, let alone past it, as the Run for the Zoo people had the cops blocking every possible way out of the neighborhood. I was so furious I couldn't even see straight; the cop working the intersection of Park Ave and 14th was not letting any cars get through, at all. I turned around and tried to head down Silver to bypass the runners - no dice, Silver was blocked off, too. I tried heading down Lead towards the park past the country club - no dice, that was blocked off, too. Eventually, after a half-hour of driving around and calls to the police department, some bright bulb decided that maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe it might be a good idea to let a few cars go through.

Shame on the Run for the Zoo people, and shame on the city for poor planning.

What if I or my girlfriend had had a medical emergency, and needed to drive out of the neighborhood and to the nearest emergency room? We would not have been able to get out.

What if I'd had a flight to catch? I would not have been able to get out.

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry, what is third world mentality? This just sounds offensive on several levels...
by third world I loosely meant underdeveloped. Not sure why its offensive to you, I was speaking in a general term not specifically to you.
Joe, thy name is troll.
Um whatever I guess. Have a nice day
For what it is worth, I would have been VERY irritated if I was stuck in my neighborhood for 30 minutes while being told by police there was no way out. Those of you who wouldn't have been are MUCH more zen than I.
Having both run in and organized races over the decades (other than running in I have never had anything to do with Run for the Zoo) I know what effort it takes to organize a large community event. And I also know that things don't always work out perfectly. And if you were to send a constructive letter to the race directors they would take your comments seriously. We should all appreciate the effort it takes to organize any event whether it be the Church of Beethoven or the Zoo Run.
Finally if one had a true medical condition needing an emergency room one should call 911 and I guarantee you an ambulance would have been let through.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

Indian Pueblo posted events
1 hour ago
Alb International Balloon Fiesta posted an event
Thumbnail

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta Music Fiesta at Balloon Fiesta Park

October 11, 2014 from 12pm to 5:30pm
1 hour ago
Adelita left a comment for Alb International Balloon Fiesta
1 hour ago
Profile IconAlb International Balloon Fiesta and Megan Bussell joined Duke City Fix
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service