National Public Radio has a call for submissions, "NPR Needs the Sounds of Your City"for a new segment on Morning Edition.

From their website:  "When you think about where you live, what sounds come to mind? In DC, the sound certainly must be the click of a camera shutter made by tourists. But what about your city?"

This got me to thinking... what about Albuquerque?  What does it sound like here?  All that comes to mind for me is the sound of wind in the spring whipping the canvas cover of my swamp cooler.

What do YOU think of when you think of the sounds of this city?

and when you come up with something, SUBMIT it NPR!  Let's get Albuquerque well represented!!

AND...  of you come up with something, and you have no way to record the sound, message me-- I have a hand held digital audio recorder and I'd be happy to help you out.

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the Bosque bisecting our city is pretty awesome and unique.  Sounds from here - birds/wildlife, cyclists whizzing along, sounds of water through irrigation ditches?  Tongue-in-cheek answer: explosions testing emanating from the base, low flying aircraft.

Water in the ditch is a good one...

Too bad it's not the smell of the city. Think of the Fall with all the chile roasting en la madrugada.

The distant thump of a car subwoofer playing a hip-hop or norteño beat. 

The whoosh of a propane burner, from a balloon overhead or a parking-lot chile roaster.

The calls of cranes flying over the valley during the spring and fall.

The collage of local dialects and languages - burqueño, spanish, navajo, vietnamese - on a full 66 bus.

Definitely the "audio mugging" of vehicle super-woofers as they pass my home. There is a city ordinance outlawing this but the APD will not enforce it.

I live in the NE Heights, and for me it is the coo of the Mourning Doves. There are many other bird sounds, but perhaps because it is so distinctive and they are so plentiful here that it is the sound that I associate with Albuquerque. 

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Dee Cohen liked Johnny_Mango's blog post That Person at the Door
2 hours ago
Dee Cohen liked Sophie's blog post Morning Fix: Law & Order
2 hours ago
Adelita commented on Johnny_Mango's blog post That Person at the Door
2 hours ago
John Macker is now a member of Duke City Fix
3 hours ago

Members