I've been in Albuquerque for more than two weeks attending to an ill family member.  I've fallen behind on my iTunes television shows due to the very slow Internet connection speeds at two hotels and at least one cafe.  Where can I download several gig of my subscriptions in an hour or two?

Tags: Albuquerque, Internet, Public, WIFI, iTunes, subscriptions

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

3.5 meg down 675kbs up - standing on a street corner!
Very cool!
Regards, Paul
Since you are a lawyer, maybe you would be comfortable in the UNM School of Law Library. Their website doesn't mention anything about internet resources, but UNM has a T-1 line and lots of computer stuff. You could call and ask.

UNM School of Law Library

1117 Stanford NE

Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001

Phone: (505) 277-6236

Here's the Network Access Control FAQfor UNM. There seems to be a guest policy:
"What is Lobo-Guest?

Lobo-Guest is a wireless connection with limited network and web access and is intended for visitors to UNM and others without a UNM NetID and password. Lobo-Guest requires that you agree to the terms of UNM Policy 2500, Acceptable Computer Use to use Lobo-Guest."
Thanks for that idea. My wife is here with me and she is a law professor and law library director. We are here for her father's final illness. The Obit will be in tomorrow's paper. Daniel R. Harris. Cut down in the prime of life at 90. He had been living independently up until Jan. 6.

The law school library is pretty restrictive - I'd be welcome as a visiting attorney but their bandwidth is reserved for legal work. My wife knows the director.
Sorry for your family's loss, George.
Just to help. A T-1 line is very slow, compared to what is available today. Most DSL and Cable connections smoke a T-1 by multiple times. At least on download speed. A T-1 is 1.5Mb/s symetrical. DSL can be as high as 20Mb/s, Cable can be as high as 20Mb/s (plus or minus), Fiber can be as high as 10,000Mb/s
I was counsel to the first major ISP in Kansas City and we started with 3 T-3s - and I had ISDN to my office and home... that was sometime around 1994.

I can remember negotiating a T-1 for the Jackson County Prosecutor's office in 1990 - $5k/mo for 1.5meg
Now days, I pay under 450 a month for ours at my office. Funny how things change.
My office at 1.5 meg up, 3.7meg down is $199/mo
But what type of connection is it?
Roadruner RG-59 U - standard cable
Probably nowhere online. A dedicated T3 connection (30 Mbps) will get you 1-2 Gigabits per hour.

The download bandwidth at Barelas Senior Center is rated at 12 Mbps max. Measurements using the online SpeakEasy Speed Test (Location = Los Angeles) give an average download bandwidth of 5.167 +- 1.755 Mbps. That means the expected download is almost always in the range 1.7-8.7 Mbps, or 0.1-0.5 Gigabits per hour. This was obtained using an Ubuntu laptop (64-bit, 2 GHz, 4 GB RAM).

At Endorphin Power Company today the download bandwidth is running 2.3-2.7 Mbps (about 0.15 Gigiabits per hour).

Interestingly, at Barelas Senior Center the upload and download bandwidths are not correlated. So fast download conditions do not translate to fast uploads.

Regards, Paul

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service