Is anyone else interested in supporting a struggling local business with a Cash Mob?  If you aren't familiar with the concept, have a read of this article or this one.

Basically the idea is to inundate a local business with customers, showing support and reminding everyone to buy local.

Who would be some good candidates?

My thought is that for the first one, to get this idea rolling in ABQ, we should choose a store that has broad appeal (like the hardware store in the article) - possibly a book store, clothing, etc.

Tags: abq, alb, albuquerque, buy, cash, local, mob

Views: 1127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good idea!

Are they struggling?  I thought they are doing well.

This is exciting! I wanted to post something previously about setting up a cash mob but I just didn't have the time! The bookstore idea is great but, I was also thinking of some Nob Hill stores, specifically Papers. I know Nob Hill had a hard time this christmas, especially after their shop n stroll was ruined by high winds. Maybe that would be a start?

BTW, maybe we should set up a cash mob group on DCF?

I've got a worthy nominee - Magnarella's Drum Shop on Menaul just west of Wyoming.. Jim Magnarella is a well known and loved local drummer who opened his store about 3 years ago - just before he was diagnosed with esophagal cancer. He beat that one with chemo and radiation, but last month the cancer returned. Independent music stores are really struggling in the current retail environmet, and Jim has kept his shop open by teaching a lot of kids, providing studio space for other teachers and providing excellent service and repairs. While a drum shop may seem rather narrowly focused for the general Cash Mob public, Jim stocks a wide array of hand drums, percussion instruments (who doesn't need a tambourine around trhe house?) and some crafts and jewelry made by local artisans. What do you say, DCF'ers? How about we support a local business and local music at the same time?

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, SophieAdelitaKitson

ABQ Blogs

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service