In about 1985 or so, I attended a public hearing about the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) near Carlsbad.  There were concerns about the environmental risks of storing radioactive waste in such a place.  We were shut down so hard and made to feel like neurotic extremists for even suggesting there could ever be a leak of any kind from this underground storage facility. So many safeties built in, only crazy people would oppose it.

Huh.

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of us who opposed WIPP were right and the current situation is more serious than the DOE is admitting.  This morning's Call-in Show on KUNM was illuminating. You can listen on the 2-week archive (Mar. 6, 8am) The most recent information is also available from the Southwest Research & Information Center, home of Don Hancock, chief brain and hero in the fight against nuclear New Mexico. http://www.sric.org/nuclear/docs/WIPP_Leak_03052014.pdf

Gee, but all the news stories say everyone is a-ok. 

How would you feel if you were one of those workers and were told you "probably" wouldn't have any health problems from the exposure?

I'm not going anywhere near Carlsbad.  I'm going to stay here and drink lemonade (made with jet fuel).

I think Adelita was being facetious.  

I know Lita was being facetious.  I was just adding my response to the news stories.

Many of us certainly voiced our concerns at DOE hearings here in Albuquerque. I sang my song "New Mexico the Garbage State" while wearing a garbage bag shaped like our state . . . and presented it as an exhibit for them to include in their records (gosh it's time to put on that garbage bag and sing that song of complaint again) . . . yes we were right. What alarms me is corporate America thinks the recent accidents are only a blip and plans are to ship all of US radioactive waste to WIPP. Proof? SEE this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/03/05/wipp-is-still-the... 

All of you seem to forget,don't know or don't care, that nuclear research and special weapons development has and does provide many good jobs in New Mexico and is responsible for the area's growth after WW II. Grew up there,lived there for many years and know what I am talking about, which is more than I can say for this group.

Donald, you may not know or don't care that several of these workers with good jobs were exposed to dangerous levels of radiation.  I don't think anyone here is against generating jobs.  I support jobs that don't endanger individuals, communities or the environment.  And there are such jobs that NM could attract and promote.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

August March posted an event
Thumbnail

100K Poets for Change + Things in Light: A Happening for Peace, Love and Understanding at Tortuga Gallery

September 27, 2014 from 7:30pm to 10:30pm
3 hours ago
Adelita liked The DitchRider's blog post The Sunday Poem V.B. Price...
8 hours ago
Linda Schroeder is now a member of Duke City Fix
8 hours ago
Krista liked The DitchRider's blog post The Sunday Poem V.B. Price...
9 hours ago

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service