I love the idea of Buy Nothing Christmas. But, boy, is it hard to get buy-in (or uh, non-buy-in) from the family at large. Some people just refuse to go along with it, and then you look like a greedy jerk for not buying a gift in return. And then others simply refuse to even consider it because there are kids involved in holidays. And apparently, American kids have the right to own more clothing than they'll ever wear and more toys than they'll ever even notice.

Anybody else trying to not spend a wad during the holidays?

From this page, you can scroll down to some great resources, including Bill McKibben's $100 holiday.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

In our big crazy family we decided not to buy anybody anything for christmas last year. That did not mean you couldn't give gifts, tho. We all cleaned our our closets and gave each other stuff we already had. I gave one sister a coat I never wore. I gave my niece some scented bath stuff & a couple of avacados. One got a big costco tube of toothpaste and a can of silly string. . .you get the idea. We had a blast and just hung out together eating candy and playing Craninum.
I think that sounds way more fun than stressing over shopping and debt!
Kinda, my immediate family appreciate a good second hand find :)
this was my idea last year. I dont bake very well Unless Its simple. I wish I could get together with tamale makers. My sis always bakes bread or cookies. I want to do something. Maybe help her.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service