Would anyone out there be interested in having some eggs hatched by a broody hen? 

We have a Buff Orpington that is faithfully sitting on a wooden egg (we do not have a rooster). We would love to let her raise a family, but we do not want to permanently add any more chickens to our flock.  We wouldn't actually want any payment besides the fun of getting to hang out with the babies for a while.   

We would also consider letting her raise some hatchery chicks for someone (however, we don't really want to hand raise chicks right now so we would want to give them back if the hen rejected them). 

We have a daughter to who loves chickens and our grown chickens are very friendly and tame so any chicks raised here will be well socialized.

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

If no one else posts offers....  please contact me ... I can get you a few fertile eggs.... and would gladly take chicks back when you are done.

Thanks for your reply Jaime.  If nobody else offers in the next few days, I'll certainly get back to you.

Asia

If she is broody now make sure she is getting something to drink... I usually take mine some water in a cup once or twice a day and talk to them and check their eggs.... even though hers are fake eggs at this point it is good practice. 

Thanks Jaime. That's good advice. She has been sitting for about a week, and I've been getting her off the nest for water, treats, and a dust bath once a day.   I posted the egg inquiry because our other mama chicken and her chick just moved into the main coop so we finally have space in the little coop for a new family.  Once I move her, she'll have enough space to have her food and water dishes within reach.  I think she'll be much happier :)

Jaime,

I would love to take you up on your offer.  We live in Corrales, and I come into Albuquerque almost everyday so I'm sure we could connect somewhere.  Let me know if you are still interested.  Thanks.

Asia

ohhh shoot I just saw this will send you a friend request.... and/or find me on facebook  Jaime Nemitz there too!!!

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Ben Moffett commented on Dee Cohen's blog post NM Pics: Arrow Motel
19 minutes ago
Patrick commented on Adelita's blog post What To Do In ABQ
1 hour ago
Profile IconNew Mexico News Port and Barbara Altman joined Duke City Fix
1 hour ago
Mary Ellen "Maria Elena" Ipiotis updated their profile
1 hour ago

Members