Hi There, I got your email about the hens not laying, but couldn't figure out how to respond. (for those who didn't see the og email: 12 hens, 1 1/2 years old, giving 2-3 eggs per day since July. Hens on og feed.
1. What breed are they? Some of the "heritage breed" chickens lay fewer eggs than the production breeds, however, yes, 2-3 eggs per day seems really low for 1.5 years.
2. Are they molting?
3. Does it seem as if anyone is eating eggs (dried goop in nesting box).
4. Anyone going broody?
5. Do they have mites/lice? Go in at night with a flashlight and pick a hen off the roost, look under their tail feathers around the vent for mites. Lice you can see easily during the day, usually they will cluster around the vent.
6. Are they otherwise in good form, missing feathers, active, eating, drinking well?
7. How much space to they have to roam?
8. Do they have shade to escape the intense summer sun?
Something's not right. They should still be laying fairly well, depending on the breed, if they're not molting or broody.