Of course I am kidding about the shoes.  How would you ever keep those wriggly feathered fiends still long enough to strap snow shoes on?   I mean, really. 

BUT, I do wonder about the ladie's feet....is there any problem with frostbite/snow for chicken feet?  Can you tell this is traumatizing?  For us, not the chickens.

Views: 394

Replies to This Discussion

Awww, you all are so great.  Thank you for the ideas.  We spent the day making the roost box warmer, we hope, by insulating with straw (held in place with cardboard).  The floor of their box is fluffy straw and the top is covered with poly bags (from the feed) filled with loose straw.  We left a  bit of space for ventilation and then turned on the old brooder lamp close by.  Didn't want to turn on the lamp in the roost box...it is not all that big and it could get too hot.  So, we are hoping that is enough.  It is good to know folks have been doing this for years without a problem. 

Thank you.

Caution! For those that think they are helping by adding heat---it is quite adequate to add a light bulb into a chicken coup for heat.....if the chicken coup is big enough for that and you may keep them laying eggs by doing so. However----if you are adding a great deal of heat you are increasing the physical demands on the chicken or other animal if they then have to go outside to eat or drink for sustenance. This can very easily make them very sick indeed. I did not realize what this does until I worked on a tractor under a heat lamp...caught the worst head cold of my life with severe headaches and will never do that again. As an animal will stay in front of the heat and then run about until cold again the heat lamp will cause repeated adjustments from hot to cold which is the best way for any animal or human to weaken and catch cold. A chicken with a shelter that contains straw or old blankets, a roost if they so choose is adequate except in the very worst of weather. Note that if they are together in numbers they may even keep each other warm by staying close. To be avoided is an inside area for them that regularly drops well below freezing as that is when they may get too cold, frostbitten etc. A brooder lamp may be ok but a heat lamp may very well be too much.

Agreed.  We don't want them too warm.  Thanks for the heads up. 

My chickens were HILARIOUS when I opened the coop door on the first snowy day. They normally run all out at once, like race horses leaving the gate. But, in this case, they took about 3 steps and the ones in the front just STOPPED. The ones just behind them kept going, and the whole mess took a tumble, squaking and flaying about, partially retreating into the coop, and crawking their heads about in wonder. In the end I coaxed them back in with the morning scratch, and left them in the coop all day that day. Funny thing is - we got twice as many eggs that day as we have been getting since fall.

Chickens can be SO funny!...

RSS

Connect with Us!

Members

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Phil_0, Sophie, once banned twice shyKitson

© 2014   Created by Duke City Fix.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service