Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has seen the symptoms I'll describe.  A few weeks ago I noticed my chicken's wing was dragging.  The next day I went out to check on her and found her on her back and she couldn't get up.  I took her to the vet and he couldn't find anything wrong with her, he thought maybe she had injured her back so he gave her some pain/anti-inflamitory meds.  She seemed to get better (even flying out of the box I had been keeping her in) and finished her meds.  Then about a week later I found her on her back again and she couldn't stand up.  Her legs just give out from under her and she can't seem to control them.  She is eating and drinking ok but can't get around. 

Views: 165

Replies to This Discussion

A female duck of mine had a similar problem and it was calcium deficiency.  She'd lay an egg a day Spring, Summer and Fall. When I gave her calcium supplements (Calcium Glucanate) she improved dramatically.  But she would have problems every Summer if I didn't supplement her. It took me 2 more years to figure out that she HAD to have her calcium. I tried different foods but for her she really needed supplementation. Good luck. I'd call the vet back and ask.

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.  A Ca deficiency would cause the bird to leech it out of her bones

Do you think this would be a problem even if she has not started to lay yet? At least that gives me some hope,where did you get the supplements? Thanks!

My Dad talked about using the eggshells when he was young.  His mom would save the shells, dry them out in the oven, then crush them with her rolling pin, and scatter them with the chicken feed and kitchen scraps.  That was in the 30's in Oklahoma when they were recovering from the drought and the wall street crash, so everything was used and reused.  That generation invented recycling I think!

Did you figure this out?  It could also be vitamin b.  crushed egg shells for the calcium and vitamin mix and squash should do it. If she has worms they could be taking away from her nutrition even if she has everything she needs.

I'm pretty sure it was Marek's disease.  I had to put her down. She had all the classic symptoms. 

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

Dee Cohen liked hettie's blog post Morning Fix: Hold On
3 hours ago
once banned twice shy commented on hettie's blog post Morning Fix: Hold On