The spouse and I took advantage of being on Mother Road Theatre Company's email list for 2 for 1 tickets to The Odyssey, the group's first production. Here's a mini review and an exhortation to support local theater.

The sets were imaginative, the puppetry inspired and the atmosphere generally fun - even the detention center milieu. The always solid Vic Browder made a great Odysseus, and I love Kristin de la O's bravery in multiple roles. Bill Sterchi is one of ABQ's finest actors, and his multiple roles - detention center guard, Odysseus' crew member were fine indeed.

Criticisms include the play being too long (too much Cyclops, too much Circe) and there being too many musical numbers. Call me an old fogey, but a 10:45 end time is late, late late. Trim a few songs, and cut the Cyclops/Circe scenes in 1/2 and you've got yourself a solid show.

We were puzzled by the inclusion of a Muse, who sang a lovely song, but really didn't add much to the production.

Worth the time/money? Yes, because it's rare you get to see as many fine local actors on stage at once as at Mother Road.

Views: 3

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

Marcelle Garfield Cady posted an event

LOVE LETTERS and DRIVING MISS DAISY - staged readings at Adobe Theater

August 1, 2014 at 8pm to August 24, 2014 at 2pm