Sorry about this, but we find a couple of these every morning on our back porch where we feed the birds.  They run anywhere from an inch to and inch-and-three-quarters.  We figure it's either from a White-winged Dove or a critter.  Does anyone know?

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

I could be an owl pellet. Start your research there and report back.

OK, Bosque Bill.  The past two mornings, I checked early (6 AM) and saw no pellets.  I was thinking if it was owls, they would be leaving pellets at night.  This morning, sometime between 10 and 11, I found another pellet.  The White-wings and Mourning doves feed here somewhat regularly (in waves, it seems)  till around noon, then sporadically the rest of the day.  I didn't see who left it, but would I be right concluding it wasn't an owl based on the time frame?

Skip, I can't fault your reasoning regarding the timing of the deposit. I also can't think it is another species of bird, such as your doves, as I don't think the size or firmness would apply. I'm stumped.

After all this time, I have an update.  We went out of town for three weeks.  When we got back, it took the birds a few days to realize we were back and food was again available.  But what didn't recur were the droppings.  Purely speculation on my part, but I'm thinking some kind of raptor was making a regular stop until the White-wings stopped showing up. 

Interesting.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Latest Activity

Dee Cohen's blog post was featured
47 minutes ago
Dee Cohen posted a blog post
47 minutes ago
Dee Cohen commented on Dee Cohen's blog post NM Pics: Skull Boots
49 minutes ago
Julie Heinrich liked Spring Griffin's blog post Thrifty ABQ
57 minutes ago