Sorry if I am turning the group into Burque Insecting...

I saw 4 of 5 of these last night in my backyard. They are about an inch long, off-white or Navajo white in color, out just before sunset. They fly just like a hummingbird, so a co-worker suggested hummingbird moth?

Whatever they are, they looked creepy/scary. Their markings almost made them look like a flying skeleton.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture quality...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78552528@N00/sets/72157621899065099/

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I do believe those are "hawk moths". The think the larvae are tomato worms.... ewww
You're right...I'd heard that as well and just found a link to confirm. Here ya go

Good bugging...I mean birding
Beverly
It is probably a Sphinx Moth. I remember my old Peterson birding guide actually had a sketch of the moth in the hummingbird section as a identification caution. I thought, "that's silly, who would mistake a moth for a hummingbird?" Then I saw my first Sphinx Moth and realized how easy it would be to mistake one in poor light or at a distance.

I believe some folks do call them Hummingbird Moths or even Hawk Moths. You can also get lots of info via Google search.
Not to worry! I have been seeing alot of those little guys. They do look like hummingbirds!
Thanks everyone. Now that I had a chance to look at pictures on wikipedia and other sources, I can confirm it is definitely one of these. Curious, I have lived here (NM) for 7 years and don't think I had seen one before. I wonder if I did see one, and maybe thought it was a hummingbird baby?
(Pssst. You are not going to see hummingbird babies unless they are still in the nest. By the time they are out, they are essentially full-size.)
I found a youtube that shows the exact same color moths I saw...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SF8_OhHks

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

Gail Rubin posted an event
Thumbnail

ABQ Death Cafe at Swiss Alps Bakery Cafe

September 27, 2014 from 2pm to 4pm
4 hours ago
lisa gill posted a discussion
5 hours ago
Teresa Gallion liked The DitchRider's blog post The Sunday Poem Mitch Rayes...
7 hours ago
Teresa Gallion commented on The DitchRider's blog post The Sunday Poem Mitch Rayes...
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service