Sorry if I am turning the group into Burque Insecting...

I saw 4 of 5 of these last night in my backyard. They are about an inch long, off-white or Navajo white in color, out just before sunset. They fly just like a hummingbird, so a co-worker suggested hummingbird moth?

Whatever they are, they looked creepy/scary. Their markings almost made them look like a flying skeleton.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture quality...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78552528@N00/sets/72157621899065099/

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I do believe those are "hawk moths". The think the larvae are tomato worms.... ewww
You're right...I'd heard that as well and just found a link to confirm. Here ya go

Good bugging...I mean birding
Beverly
It is probably a Sphinx Moth. I remember my old Peterson birding guide actually had a sketch of the moth in the hummingbird section as a identification caution. I thought, "that's silly, who would mistake a moth for a hummingbird?" Then I saw my first Sphinx Moth and realized how easy it would be to mistake one in poor light or at a distance.

I believe some folks do call them Hummingbird Moths or even Hawk Moths. You can also get lots of info via Google search.
Not to worry! I have been seeing alot of those little guys. They do look like hummingbirds!
Thanks everyone. Now that I had a chance to look at pictures on wikipedia and other sources, I can confirm it is definitely one of these. Curious, I have lived here (NM) for 7 years and don't think I had seen one before. I wonder if I did see one, and maybe thought it was a hummingbird baby?
(Pssst. You are not going to see hummingbird babies unless they are still in the nest. By the time they are out, they are essentially full-size.)
I found a youtube that shows the exact same color moths I saw...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SF8_OhHks

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

items in Duke City Fix More Duke City Fix photos

Latest Activity

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.