Does anyone know, what are those plants growing along Cesar Chavez in front of the Hispanic Cultural Center? They seem to grow really quickly, look almost like corn stalks. I am looking for something to grow along my fence for privacy and I really like how they look.

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

Kate, do you have a photo? I might be able to ID them.
Emily
oh, I will take one next time I drive by. Thank you!!
This is river cane, a.k.a. Arundo donax. Some think its a bamboo, but the stalks are not nearly as hard and "woody" as bamboo. I'm not sure who sells it around, i started some from a little clump i dug a few years ago, have it in an area that doesn't get any extra water, and it's now a stand about 15 feet tall and almost as wide. I have to chop it back to keep it from spreading out under the clothes line! It can be cut back as they did at HCC, but i never do - better screen that way. The sparrows love to hang out in it, too.
Thank you!
I bought some arundo donax from Osuna nursery a couple of years ago. I don't think they carry it anymore. Yes, that's what's in front of the Hispanic Cultural Center and it's great for a screen. Within two years, mine is about 20 ft. tall with a very nice, tropical, bamboo-like look. It clumps and doesn't seem to spread "invasively." You can find it growing along ditches and in vacant lots and can probably start it from root stock. I'm in the market for more for my other fenceline. Let me know if you want to get together and go dig some up. - jill
Sweet! Thanks, Jill!
I'll talk to Tami about it and see.
I believe there is also some of this growing on the edge of the ditch at the far Northwest corner of Los Poblanos Open Space near the Community Garden.

RSS

Connect with Us!

Regular Features

• "Sunday Poetry" with The Ditch Rider

Johnny_Mango

• Daily Photo by Dee

• "Morning Fix" with Adelita, Hettie, Phil_0 and Masshole in Fringecrest

DCF Flickr Photos

Latest Activity

Jules Nyquist commented on The DitchRider's blog post The Sunday Poem Mitch Rayes...
3 hours ago
Jules Nyquist liked The DitchRider's blog post The Sunday Poem Mitch Rayes...
3 hours ago
Gail Rubin posted an event
Thumbnail

ABQ Death Cafe at Swiss Alps Bakery Cafe

September 27, 2014 from 2pm to 4pm
12 hours ago
lisa gill posted a discussion
13 hours ago

© 2014   Created by MarketPlace Media.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service