How many of you in Duke City Fix land have had the opportunity to set foot in almost every single public school in Albuquerque? Over the last eight months I have had access to every public elementary, middle and high school in the city. It has been an experience I will never forget and am, quite frankly, grateful for the opportunity.
How did I get this opportunity?
Let me begin by saying 2009 was a very rough and painful year for me career-wise. I… Continue
Added by Adelita on February 15, 2010 at 4:00pm —
Is it just me or does it seem like it was a one hit wonder recreation activity in the 90's? Fortunately, a couple of friends and I have re-invested in it buying blades and going to adult skate night (almost) every Sunday night at Roller Skate City. What sparked our interest in bringing back in-line skating?
One Friday night in January I decided to plan a surprise b-day party for my best friend. I wanted to something fun and different than the usual dinner and drinks tradition. I had… Continue
Added by Alicia on February 15, 2010 at 2:32pm —
It may not have been the ideal relationship, Persephone
, having started with him kidnapping her to his subterranean mancave. What kind of Valentine's Day is this? Sari Krosinsky peels the pomegranate, tries the orange, and wonders who this man really is.
Sari Krosinsky received an M.A. in creative writing from the UNM.… Continue
Added by The DitchRider on February 14, 2010 at 9:30am —
I have to admit I have been in a slump lately. One of those slumps in which you begin to question who you are, who you want to be and how you want to live your life. I have decided that I'm tired of living up to other people's (family, especially mom, supervisors, friends and society)'s expectations of how I should live my life.
That life looks something like this:graduate high school, go to college, earn your bachelor's, go to grad school, earn your master's, find a well paying… Continue
Added by Alicia on February 12, 2010 at 11:29am —
- The state needing money always equates to more taxes. Do Slim Jims and Abba Zabba's count as a "non-staple"? Yes? damn.
- There really IS an app for…
Added by RiRiSynCyr on February 12, 2010 at 5:00am —
I'm not technically a Nob Hill resident - I live outside of the boundaries in the same way as the Fringecresters live just beyond the edges of Ridgecrest. A trend I've noticed across both neighborhoods is an increase in large… Continue
Added by Edith Grove on February 11, 2010 at 9:00am —
- We don't even have enough money to keep them in classes, how exactly are we going to teach them financial planning?
- Somehow, I don't think Obama intended people to trade in their old clunkers for new clunkers.…
Added by RiRiSynCyr on February 11, 2010 at 5:00am —
We've collected some of the best local ABQ events for a unique and special Valentine's weekend... enjoy! For more great ideas, visit the Events section of the Fix or add your own to the comments below!
Added by Self Serve on February 9, 2010 at 3:30pm —
I am hoping for a further "Food, Inc.ification" of America. By that I mean that I hope people start thinking about where their food is coming from. It serves me right that after last week's Superbowl post
that the idea for this blog post came to me while I sank my teeth into a mesquite bar-b-q chicken wing, one that was obviously genetically engineered for… Continue
Added by Masshole in Fringecrest on February 10, 2010 at 9:30am —
- DRUMSTICKGATE. I swear I didn't make that up, it's an actual news headline.
- Thank goodness somebody realizes that…
Added by RiRiSynCyr on February 10, 2010 at 5:00am —
Added by RiRiSynCyr on February 9, 2010 at 5:00am —
We’re smack in the middle of Black History Month and don’t I just know it? I’m getting emails from friends who are performing all over this town and the state, and our grown and almost grown children are asking Dad questions about the time he met Dr. King
, and what Nobel Peace Prize winner… Continue
Added by Barelas Babe on February 8, 2010 at 3:00pm —
- THIS breaks my heart, but thankfully there are awesome people like THIS in town trying to educate and support people with good dogs (like mine!). And their calendar is pretty darn cute too!
Added by RiRiSynCyr on February 8, 2010 at 4:45am —
Once called "The Aristophanes of the Piñon-Juniper Scrubland" performance poet Larry Goodell
has lived in Placitas for almost 50 years. He has published many local writers and is author of Firecracker Soup
, Out of Secrecy, The Mad New Mexican, and… Continue
Added by The DitchRider on February 7, 2010 at 8:00am —
Last night I had the thrill of going to The Coop with my bro who won tickets here on DCF. With no idea of what to expect, I googled Fred & realized it was going to be an interesting, fun night. Bro rounded up the gang & away we go.
First of all, as we go in & are looking for a table, there is a fairly large area filled with what I call the "Fred Boutique", merchandized to the gills. Not that that's a bad thing. I liked it. It said to me that Fred was no fool. Fred was a… Continue
Added by cathyray on February 6, 2010 at 2:53pm —
- UNM looking into raising admissions standards.
- Legislation to protect "pore space" (whatever that is) doing fine in the…
Added by pepeye on February 5, 2010 at 6:00am —
- The fund used to provide indigent multiple-DWI offenders with discounted ignition interlock service has run out of money. The solution to their problem can be found right here.
Added by pepeye on February 4, 2010 at 6:00am —
Here's the Super Bowl Pre-Week list of things to do in the Masshole World:
1. Check in at least two times a day at this great site
for those of us who like the commercials more than the actual play on the field. Too bad we're not as pop-culturally mature as the powers that be in Austria, because then we could have an awesome ad such as this to… Continue
Added by Masshole in Fringecrest on February 3, 2010 at 10:00am —
- So the Albuquerque Journal has an iPhone app. Other than continuing their idiotic paywall policy, it actually is an improvement over the visual travesty of the paper's regular web site. I especially like the fact that, when you select the "more" menu, you can go straight to the comments section. Pure entertainment and paywall free.…
Added by pepeye on February 3, 2010 at 6:00am —
NOB HILL--The APS school improvement election is today! Remember to vote. The problem is that since a lot of precincts have been consolidated for this election, you might not know where. Here is a little help.
If you know your precinct number, scroll down to the bottom of this page to view the consolidated precincts list
If you… Continue
Added by Johnny_Mango on February 2, 2010 at 8:59am —