... For whomever you're voting for - You're going to vote, right?
This is NOT an Obama/Mccain conversation - it's a question of yes/no.
I realize that there's always a lot of talk about "Just don't bother, it doesn't make a difference", or "(so and so) will win without my help, anyway" - but that's flat out not true. The only way to change a broken machine is to do something to start changing it.
Don't fall for the "Don't bother to vote" spin, no matter who's throwing it at you. Make your own mind up, and participate in this one thing. If you're not voting, fine - but before you make your mind up on that, consider the other options - even if you think it's "not worth it", it takes up maybe a few hours in a day, and if you do it before Nov. 4th, even less.
Also please remember some of your rights:
- Your employer, by law, must allow you to go vote on election day. DO NOT tell me you didn't vote because you had to work, or because you were told you couldn't leave work. Either is a fallacy.
- Voting "straight party", while showing your dedication to your party, does not always answer the many questions brought up on a ballot. Consider reading the whole thing and filling it out. There is a rumor that if you vote straight party in NM, your vote for president does not count. This is, as far as I know, A rumor only. Only two states do not consider a straight party vote a vote for president; North and South Carolina.
- TAKE YOUR TIME. This isn't a race. Read up on issues in your local area, and how the ballots affect those issues.
- NO ONE has the right to sway your decision on your way into a polling place. You are also not bound in any way to tell ANYONE how you voted, or how you plan to vote.
- Some polling places will make you turn shirts endorsing candidates inside out, or take buttons off. This is a grey area, but if you want to save time, keep your "Raining Mcccain" or "Obama Momma" shirts in the car, and wear 'em after.
- Absentee ballots, while a useful way to vote without going into a polling place, are notoriously easy to be "lost" or mis-counted. Even if you get an absentee ballot, you should bring it directly into a polling place.
- (this is not a direct endorsement) Obama's website has one of the best systems for finding your polling place and where to vote early: http://www.barackobama.com - or visit your state/city's website/call information.
- Be ready to wait when you go to your polling place. DO NOT let this discourage you from voting. DO NOT say "oh well, in four years i'll do it". DO NOT take the manana attitude. This happens once every four years! Take some time, go out, DO IT. Do not fall for "don't vote" spin. Do not joke yourself into being powerless. That's exactly what any number of people want.