Well, You Asked For It
First things first. In our annual reader survey, you asked for:
- The ability to edit comments
- The ability to contribute stories to the site
- A more cohesive relationship between blog posts and forum posts
- A way to contact each other (without revealing private info)
- More ways to build community in Albuquerque
I think this new site offers all that (and more), so I hope you like it.
Making It Sustainable
For the past 2.5 years, Duke City Fix has been maintained by a cadre of unpaid volunteers. These good people support the website in the following ways:
- Designing, developing, and troubleshooting the web publishing system and server
- Writing content on a regular basis
- Adding comments and forum posts (yep, that's you, our readers!)
Moving to this new system allows us to reduce the overhead on the first 2 items, while leveraging the 3rd. Yep, I said "leverage." How very middle-manager of me.
Basically, this new system lowers the maintenance of Duke City Fix to the point where it truly can be a long-term player in the Albuquerque web scene.
Why We're Taking Ads
We're taking ads so that the site will pay for itself. This is different than getting rich by becoming advertising moguls which we have no interest in doing.
Here's our model:
- Projected income from Google Ads is $20-$40/mo initially.
- Hosting and maintenance costs are currently $60/mo.
Obviously, we're still under-funded but we hope to reduce this gap over time to make the site self-supporting.
Here We Go
You may have noticed by now that this new site is a lot more fun, isn't it?
From the mini-feed of activity (oh so addicting
) to the reader profiles, this new system feels a lot more engaging and community-oriented which has been the goal of Duke City Fix all along.
Thanks for joining us in the evolution!
Learn more about our mission and how this site works
Here's where you can find the old DCF