It has officially been a week and a day since I turned 19, and in that week, I have come to a few conclusions. Keep in mind that these realizations have less than two decades behind them......
1. Love comes in unexpected packages. In the past year I've had two boyfriends--and God, were those learning experiences. But in the process, I came to realize that I am stronger than I could have ever imagined. At the same time, I am one of the most vulnerable people walking the earth. Hand over the Kleenex people....I'm female.
2. Retail therapy does the trick......especially when it's somewhere cheap, like the dollar store.......
3. T-mobile has some of the best coverage around Albuquerque.
4. Nothing beats watching the sun set off of the roof of my house. The close second to this would be driving up to Nine-Mile and watching all the city lights.
5. Never run barefoot to the mail box at two in the afternoon when it's June/July. Your feet will thank you.
6. Forgiveness is the key to avoiding heart attacks.
7. Never let go of a man who sings to you.....or one who will do anything to put a smile back on your face, even if it means looking like an idiot in front of his friends/family/coworkers/neighbors.
8. Buying yourself flowers is a major mood- and confidence-booster. To quote "She's The Man": "You don't need a man to wear a pretty dress".....and you don't need an excuse to celebrate your own awesomeness.
9. No matter what happens, my mom's mashed potatoes make it better.
10. I am much like the rubber duckies I collect: entertaining, compact, bright, funky, and will make funny noises when poked or squeezed.
11. Getting caught by the UPS guy when I'm singing Foreigner's "Cold As Ice" at the top of my lungs is not the end of the world.
12. Old Town makes a great location for a date.
13. Making my own mistakes is a lot more beneficial (and fun) than living my life by everyone else's rules. No, I'm not a hardcore rebel. I'm just an individual.
14. Kissing is great. Especially when it's in the rain, or when it's over a milkshake at the Route 66 Diner.
15. Fireworks are amazing. They always take me back to being a little kid running all over the place waving a sparkler like mad.
16. Magic is everywhere.
17. Music is life.
18. My relationships and phases in life are marked by songs. Yes, this can lead to a little sadness when things end, but there is always the memory of when that one guy and I cuddled and listened to Secondhand Serenade and learned to appreciate the simple things, or that one time when that other guy and I slow danced to Tim McGraw.
19. Never underestimate the powers of clean underwear.