May Day is almost here. The trees are leafed out, pollen is blowing in the wind and flowers are unfurling everywhere. I just planted a 4-in-1 apple tree in my backyard and it reminded me of something my mother mentioned. She has noticed the trees in the local parks that have plaques underneath them. Many of these are memorials to loved ones. With the city's stately elms
now in decline, replanting with more appropriate trees is a big project. You can join in on this effort and commemorate a special event or remember a loved one through Albuquerque's Memorial Tree Program
I went for a stroll around Hyder Park and cataloged the plaques there. A couple of trees looked like they once had plaques that are now missing. Here are the ones that still stand:
In honor of Bob Giles who loved this park. Keep Hope Alive God Bless 1950-2006
In Honor and Fond Remembrance of Sadie / Brackenhollow's Prairie Wind
MAX Beloved Olde English Sheepdog 1/19/92 - 3/28/03 Our Best Friend RG BSR
In Loving Memory of Gail Massie July 31, 2006 Wall Street Wizards
In Memory of Bear and Corvette 2005
Wind in our hair, grass under foot, love Hyder Park Christy & Lincoln 2005
Muffin Is Planting This Tree For All Her Two And Four Legged Friends At Hyder Park
"Sensation Box Elder" Planted 2006 for our Buddy Helen Fuschino
In Memory of Jeanette Waldman Parks
Beloved Son, Brother and good Friend to many. David W. Endean May 4, 1943 - November 14, 1995
In Loving Memory of Harold R. "Bob" Bengel 1934-2007
- Sponsoring a tree costs $200.
- The Park Management Division will work with you to choose an appropriate tree and park.
- The plaque (with up to 65 characters) can be upgraded to bronze (an extra $120) or aluminum (an extra $138).
- Trees are planted between late fall and early May. With advance notice, you can arrange your own ceremony, celebration or memorial to mark the planting of the tree.
- It takes up to two months to get the plaque made, so plan ahead if you want to commemorate a certain day or week.
- If anything happens to the plaque, a replacement can be made at your request and cost.
- The Memorial Tree Application is available here